Julia Bell

First off, let me say, not having the bugs worked out on this update is beyond annoying. Your scheduled upgrade is a failure and did not work. I am stuck in a perpetual loop. Initially, I was able to get in to my Desktop, make some arrangements, but I noticed that Bitdefender was no longer pinned to my taskbar. I went in to Control Panel, which took awhile to find, and pinned it to my taskbar. I received the message that windows needed to Restart, so I, of course, allowed it to restart, and now it is stuck in a loop that will not quit. Windows does not recognize my password, and I, a graduate student with papers and assignments stuck on my computer and due by Sunday at 11:59 p.m. EDT, cannot access my computer. The loop is a blue screen with the big frowny-face followed underneath by this God-forsaken message: "Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. We're just collecting some error info., and then we'll restart for you. (_% complete)" Underneath that lie, oops message, I receive the "If you'd like to know more, you can search online later for this error:
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (mfewfpk.sys)"

I really despise you for this. My husband has iOS, and I know why. If my desktop were not brand new, I would move over to Apple.

Frustrated,
Julia Bell

Your scheduled upgrade is a failure and did not work.
This is not Microsoft!!!!! See bottom of the page and Terms of Service THANK YOU.

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (mfewfpk.sys)
A search of the error shows its because you didn't uninstall McAfee anti-virus before you ran the upgrade.

Last edited by a moderator:
I ran the uninstall program and had no McAfee anit-virus programs showing in the Control Panel, BEFORE I installed Bitdefender, 9 days ago. When the 10 upgrade installed, it erased the Bitdefender from my taskbar, where I had it pinned, as well as erasing the desktop icon. I had to find Control Panel, go into it, double-checked to see that there were no McAfee programs showing. Then, I pinned Bitdefender back to the taskbar; a desktop icon automatically appeared, and then I received the message saying that the computer needed to do a restart. If the computer showed no McAfee programs from both the programs link in the Control Panel and the uninstall link in the Control Panel, how was I supposed to know it was there? I was not receiving reports from McAfee any longer; Bitdefender was generating the scans and reports.

How does your answer resolve my problem, that did not exist prior to the scheduled 10 upgrade? How does your answer get the Windows system from running that Restart Loop? How does your answer get me back into my desktop, so I can retrieve and submit my work?

• McAfee often leaves files behind after an un-install... that's one problem.
  • You did an upgrade without backing up your files first at a time when some important files are due... Wow?
I recommend you take the sytem to a computer shop and ask them to extract the files you need onto a usb stick or different hdd BEFORE mucking about with it any more... they should not be corrupt yet but stop until you have them backed up.

p.s Most schools have IT help people that know how to remove a hdd and backup a file for you if you ask them nice... good luck with the up coming test.

Are you referring to How to ask for help with a BSOD problem? If so, I cannot do any of that, because I cannot grab anything, right or left click. I am literally stuck in a loop saying that it is restarting for me. The third time around, I receive several options, but my Windows password is not recognized and I can go no further. I thought I had rescheduled the update for 1 August 2015 12:00 a.m., as I was typing a paper, the updates just started occurring. Earlier, on 31 July, I received a message that said it would start upload in an hour and gave a reschedule option. I guess when I scrolled down, I moved it off the 12:00 a.m. time to 11:00 p.m., because I did not receive a second warning 7/31/15 23:00 when the upgrade began; as a result, no I did not get all my papers and documents saved into my Dropbox.

The main problem with Windows 7 is that to get into safe mode, you used to be able to hit "F8" repeatedly. Unfortunately, in Windows 8.1, they decided to change this. It is possible to hit SHIFT-F8 repeatedly on boot up, but the operating system will look for this for less than 1 second. The ability to boot into the Advanced Startup Recovery Mode is almost impossible in Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 unless you do it from within Windows, which obviously, you cannot. The other option you have available to you, which may be extremely dangerous, unorthodox, and is not recommended, is, when you see the Windows logo, which means your Windows files are loading, hold down the power button for 4 seconds, completely shutting down the computer. This MAY get you into the ability to launch safe mode. If you are able to do this and successfully get into safe mode, you should remove any anti-virus or firewall software you have and also run:

http://us.mcafee.com/apps/supporttools/mcpr/mcpr.asp
Uninstall Bitdefender
(DOWNLOAD THESE BEFORE TRYING TO GET INTO SAFE MODE)

So, when you power off during Windows boot, you are essentially, intentionally crashing your system, which CAN RESULT IN DATA LOSS and is not generally recommended. However, if you have NO OTHER CHOICE, this is possibly THE ONLY CHOICE.

Last edited:
The other option you have, which is much more safe, is to run the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool again, and instead of upgrading, burn the ISO file to disc or 4 GB usb thumb drive. Boot from this USB flash drive, and go to "Repair" instead of clean installing Windows. This will launch the recovery media, allowing you, once again, to boot into safe mode. However, you're going either have to download the uninstallation tools for your anti-virus and firewall onto a USB drive OR boot into Safe Mode with Networking and download them that way. This is a time consuming process.

I have similiar experience with this boot failure. In my case, I use Eset as my anti virus and firewall.
Try entering safe mode by choosing advance methode then search the file causing the loop. Usualy lies in ~/windows/system32/drivers/

Reboot. Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First off, let me say, not having the bugs worked out on this update is beyond annoying. Your scheduled upgrade is a failure and did not work. I am stuck in a perpetual loop. Initially, I was able to get in to my Desktop, make some arrangements, but I noticed that Bitdefender was no longer pinned to my taskbar. I went in to Control Panel, which took awhile to find, and pinned it to my taskbar. I received the message that windows needed to Restart, so I, of course, allowed it to restart, and now it is stuck in a loop that will not quit. Windows does not recognize my password, and I, a graduate student with papers and assignments stuck on my computer and due by Sunday at 11:59 p.m. EDT, cannot access my computer. The loop is a blue screen with the big frowny-face followed underneath by this God-forsaken message: "Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. We're just collecting some error info., and then we'll restart for you. (_% complete)" Underneath that lie, oops message, I receive the "If you'd like to know more, you can search online later for this error:
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (mfewfpk.sys)"

I really despise you for this. My husband has iOS, and I know why. If my desktop were not brand new, I would move over to Apple.

Frustrated,
Julia Bell
I had the same problem just restarted in safe mode which was in advance startup settings, let it boot fully then reset and was ok again......for now....... Good Luck

Back