Windows 11 Windows 10 upgrade to Windows 11.

snodgrass

Yippee can't upgrade to Windows 11. Ran the Windows compatibility checker and found that I have the wrong type of i3 processor. Windows 10 is fine.

Windows 10 will be supported until 2025. You can also look up your CPU socket and see if you can upgrade to a supported CPU.

Thanks for that. By that time the wonderful cash machine that is Microsoft will have launched Windows 12 and made even more of Intels and others CPUs obsolete

No you will not lose your files. Updated my HP Envy today, it took about two hours with a couple of reboots built into the process. All links and files were in place. Connected to all devices (printers, router) without further adjustment. Just sorting out the settings to my own preference. Great work.

An in place upgrade should not impact data, programs and most configuration.

When I do that, will I have to get a new license key? In my case I have a Windows 10 Pro license, which was an aftermarket upgrade to a machine that came with Windows 10 Home.

Yippee can't upgrade to Windows 11. Ran the Windows compatibility checker and found that I have the wrong type of i3 processor. Windows 10 is fine.
I can see where your coming from snodgrass. Windows is a very good OS that has served me well for 35 years But.......If I was using Win1 it would be prone to all sorts of niggles and hacked to death by now. Win 11 is all about old computer hardware being brought up to date. What's the point of a bride being brought to a wedding in a prone to breakdown old banger, no matter how loved it is (the car not the bride LOL). Investing a new product with , hopefully, new software to further thwart hackers will be read and used against us more easily if the computer is unable to distinguish privacy in its hardware. Like most, we grow feeble with age and after 2025 you'll be open game, and more so as time marches on. I mean to hang on until 2025 merely as a cost consideration. Unfortunately even an upgrade would normally mean a new mother board and not just a CPU to us ordinary folk.

Back