Windows 10 Windows 10 will not connect to certain websites after Upgrade

Good to hear!!

For my information, where was that DNS table you flushed, in your modem/router?

It was flushing the router. After spending some time trying various fixes, etc. I finally realized that it was my router all the time. The router is set up in my basement where I have another desktop. I swapped ports between machines and spent some time on that one to see if I could replicate the errors and I did. I then began jiggling the Ethernet cables at the router and began seeing that it would connect. I restarted that router and modem and everything worked for a while. I logged into the router and everything thing in the setup was correct. This morning I swapped that router out with an old one that I had and so far everything works consistently. It must have just been a fluke that this started when I upgraded the one machine to Win 10. I thank all of you for your help as this was a real pain! I am going to buy a new router once I determine that this really was the problem. The old router works fine on the wired connections it's just not up to the latest wireless n specs.

The hardware is really important here Tony as BBJ suggested, especially since there are a few problematic AMD programs that come to mind that cause this buy without knowing you hardware it is tough to even offer a guess.

I guess you were posting while I was but its great to see you got it anyway. Don't wait too long before replacing router
because old routers are the cause of so many internet issues. Average lifespan of an inexpensive router is 2-3 years yet users have been known to use them for 6-8 years. The first thing to break down in my experience is the wireless speeds.

Hi The last reply that was posted on this thread was May- 1- 2016. Your post was 18 minutes ago.
I don't see how you and Tony could be posting at the same time. We all make Bo Bo's!
Thanks for your reply and welcome to the forum. Very strange for someone like you; with your experience to make this kind;):) a mistake.
Wondering what this is all about???

I must have been looking at another post as I had 3 open at one time. Had I realized you answered a post from 2012 in 2016 I would not even have answered at all so I guess it is in how we find threads to answer and I obviously am not doing it the right way here. That is what happens frequently when you are new at a forum. Ah I see I read that wrong too I was reading the joined date so it was May 1.

Hi @RichM I would suggest you use the the new post and recent activity features to help you navigate around the forum.
No harm done. I'm just saying that is very odd for someone with all your experience. I'm very confused about how you are getting all these dates confused. Just a thought. Maybe have less windows open!;):(

.........Don't wait too long before replacing router because old routers are the cause of so many internet issues. Average lifespan of an inexpensive router is 2-3 years yet users have been known to use them for 6-8 years. The first thing to break down in my experience is the wireless speeds.....
Interesting to hear..

For me a router was just a black box between two internet networks. It has knowledge of the networks and it maintains routing tables. A router makes it possible to communicate between the networks. The routing algorithms are old, reliable and stable. The router doesn’t have knowledge of transport layer of the networks.

Wireless speeds are a different story. I can understand that with the increasing number of home Wi-Fi networks interfering with each other you better use up to date Wi-Fi access points...

I really don't want to correct anybody, just improving my understanding, but is the word router used here for a wireless access point including a router and is that the most common word for it?

A wireless access point is really a router used in conjunction with another router to extend internet wireless connectivity without interfering or conflicting with the original router. I don't see this as a wireless access point we are talking about. Though a wireless access point is really a hardware device that allows connection to a wired network in strict definition, but I guess it could also be a part of a router as well.

Last edited:
Ok I get that. But what item should be changed every 2-3 years? Not the router as I know him, a box with only a number of network connectors. Is it the modem/router as provided by your ISP?

Last edited:
To clarify. An extender is used to extend the existing wireless access point signal on the same channel. A wireless access point can be used to extend the network coverage area, but doesn't "extend" the same signal. Wireless APs are generally given the same SSID, but operate on a different channel so they don't interfere with the neighboring access points. A router is strictly a wired device for routing IP traffic between network segments. A switch separates the collision domains but the not broadcast domains of network traffic. These lines are blurred in a home setting because your "home wireless router" combines a wireless AP, a router, and a switch in one device. Another difference between a wireless AP and wireless router, is that an AP doesn't lease DHCP address or do any routing logic. It simply sends it out the wired connection to your router.

Actually both bochane. Modems supplied by carriers are mostly refurbished in my experience so 2-3 years is usually all they will last withfull speeds. Inexpensive routers are new but the strength of the wireless signal I have seen to hold up only 2-3 years. A router over $100 usually has a longer life with full strength signals. Until I started buying Cisco Small Business routers which are mostly over $150, I learned to replace the cheaper ones every 2-3 years if I wanted to keep the wireless signal up to where it was when new.

To clarify. An extender is used.......
That is exactly what is in my memory, Thanks

Actually both bochane. ........
Never ever thought of that, because why would simple electronics wear out? The old vacuum tubes did that, not our modern electronics.... Anyway never too old to learn.

But the router as Neemobeer defined and as in my memory: "A router is strictly a wired device for routing IP traffic between network segments" just a box without Wi-Fi, I think I can use it as long as it works, or am I also wrong in this?

Well yes and no. The wired connection tends to last twice as long as the wireless connectivity but eventually goes also.
And remember as it is wearing out it is most likely getting slower as well. Again there is a reason some routers cost $150 and some cost $49 and the answer is obvious.I had a Linksys WRT350 router that was nearly $200 after becoming annoyed at replacing various bargain routers every few years. I got 6-7 years out of that without as much as a dropped signal until it died. Then after Cisco bought Linksys and failed Belkin bought them and they can ruin any product easily. Then I bought the Cisco Small Business RV 180w and I have had that about 4 years now without a loss of signal but that one was $165 from memory. Now I have a small shop in my home and a lot of pc's go through this router.

HI Here's what I have!! I do not have a Modem from my ISP! My data comes in on the same line as my TV. There is a split-er to separate TV and Computer!.
Capture48.JPG

Components on pcboards (printed circuit boards) like resistors / transformers / transistors (the old fashioned big ones) may get warm, so the metal wires of them expand, and after switch off they shrink again, eventually it may lead to a very bad connected component. Capacitors are also not 100% reliable.
If a manufacturer is using low production standards this may happen.

It is a shame that routers - key components of our infrastructure - are sold of such a low quality.
Thanks for your explanation.

Have a nice weekend,
Henk

Last edited:
Gary you are saying you don't have a modem from your isp and then you picture one. A modem/router is a modem and a router in one.
Did you mean you bought yours maybe?

This is not my first rodeo Rich! yes I own it. I have one separate unit. I got tired of paying Sudden Link 12$ a mouth and bought my own.
If you want to challenge me with computer language, you will win easily. I'm a old country boy self taught and my computer vocabulary leaves a lot to be desired. Sense you're always tooting your horn on nearly every post you make, I'll toot mine a little. I live in a retirement center with 350+ seniors. They call me Gary the computer guy. I help the seniors with their printers and computers for free. I never charge. I do not do the hardware part because my skin is paper thin do to age, and 6 months of chemo and it tears and bruises easily. I have lived here over 4 years and I have seen very few hard ware problems. One power supply and one bad hard drive. Sense my labor is a labor of love, there is no reason to replace hard drives and sell OEM's:demon:
PS I have helped two seniors on two computers that are still running W98. Both going strong but not connected to the internet.
Like @Sonny said have a nice week end Rich! Sorry that was @bochane that wished you a nice week end!

Last edited:
Makes sense and that was not a challenge, I was just asking you, no need to get all confrontational in every post Gary.
I have told you before, what you do is honorable and you deserve a lot of credit for that and I am sure they really appreciate you.
Like many in this business I started out that way also and then one day I felt the calling and realized most were appreciative but some were abusing the situation so I "went rogue" and went into the business!:)

If you see mostly new pcs then what you say is highly possible but generally because I am a business, they mostly call me when their old clunker either quit or won't do something they need it to do.

Back