Windows 11 audio playback crackles w/ processor

Weasel maz

Hello all. I have an issue with Windows 11 causing audio playback issues on my native speakers and it's driving me NUTS.

My system:
HP Omen 15 Laptop
Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 4800H, 2900 Mhz, 8 Cores,
Memory: 16gb
BIOS Version/Date: AMI F.20, 4/17/2023
GPU: Geforce GTX 1660ti

The audio playback issue is crackling audio. This occurs primarily when processor is more active.
So, if i were to solely open up a youtube tab and play a video it might sound fine. But as soon as I open more tabs or start microsoft word or task manager even the audio starts to crackle.
If I disable and enable Realtek audio driver it'll resolve for 1 minute or so and then problem starts again.

I have tried reinstalling drivers for realtek HD audio and tried a bunch of different driver versions
I have tried changing power options to be on best performance
I have tried setting high priority for audiodsg.exe process via task manager
I have tried updating Windows 11
I have updated BIOS
I have even tried RESETTING THE PC!!!!
ALL this without success. Of note, the problem does resolve when using headphones as opposed to the native laptop speakers but I do NOT think this is a hardware issue because the speakers are fine when the processor is not heavily loaded.

If you never have the issue on headphone then it is most likely hardware. If it's stuttering and not crackling then that's another matter if the CPU/memory are overloaded. Crackling is typically a defect in the speaker themselves

The problem is stuttering which sounds like crackling. If it was a hardware issue I'd expect the issue to be persistent. I can go through videos for hours without an issue if it's low cpu/memory involvement. It's extremely reproducible by just opening a resource intensive task or app.

Ok if it's stuttering then yes that can be impacted by high load. Have you run the audio troubleshooter?

Back