Windows 7 Windows 7 - 32 or 64 Bit for gaming?

Screamz91

Hello. I am going to upgrade to Windows 7 Ultimate from Vista Basic 32 bit. As said in the title, I am curious if I should go with 32 or 64 bit OS. I do alot of gaming on my PC so I would like to have which ever one would increasing performance. I would appericate your opinions on what I should get.

I am aware that my processor can support 64 Bit OS. I am also aware that 64 Bit can read more RAM, but I have been hearing from some people that 64 bit would be better and the same for 32 bit:confused:. Thank you for any help.

If you have 4 gb-ram and a graphics card with dedicated memory it is a good idea to upgrade to a 64 bit os, just because it supports more ram. 32 bit only supports a total of 4 gb-ram seeing the graphics card ram and normal ram as the same memory, so upgrading also gives a little boost to your graphics card ram.

This is my graphics card memorÿ from a dxdiag file:
Display Memory: 2280 MB
Dedicated Memory: 506 MB
Shared Memory: 1774 MB

And for sure I can see the advantages of 64 bit, I can play nfs shift on my laptop on high graphics, and a guy from school with the same laptop can play nfs shift only on medium/low graphics on a 32 bit system.

Video Card - 8800GT Superclocked with 512 RAM
RAM - 4Gb
Processor - AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 3.1ghz

I have noticed that my computer only reads that I have 3582mb of RAM. So an upgrade to 64 Bit would be recommended?

From reading all the posts about gaming,. it seems the 64-bit edition does not fair so well.'

You definitely need more RAM if you go 864-bit,. and I would not recommend overclocking.

well I have no problems with gaming on a 64 bit system, so long as you make sure you have an updated system before installing games it doesn't seem like you need to use all kind of compatibility modes or anything, my games even run smoother now, gta4 a bit to smooth I might ass:p

@Screamz91: Yes I have the same thing with my Asus Nvidia geforce 9600 gt, it's factory default overclocked:p

Last edited:
Easy answer: 64-bit.

----Windows will be able to read more RAM on your system (The limit is much greater than 32-bit)

----If 64-bit version of...say Crysis fails, you can play 32-bit version not problem. Though, your OS would still read as much RAM.

----You`ll also be futureproof for more demanding videogames.

From reading all the posts about gaming,. it seems the 64-bit edition does not fair so well.'

You definitely need more RAM if you go 864-bit,. and I would not recommend overclocking.

Not sure what others are doing, but I am running an i7 with 12GB on Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and have not had ANY issues with any games I have installed and played.

Old or new, I have had no issues with games. None of my kids have either.

I find the same.. I'm running 64bit and had no problems at all and in fact some games do run faster under 64bit. 64bit support is rapidly improving all the time and so the problems that were around like a year ago are now virtually non existant...

I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium - 64 Bit & I haven't encountered any problem while playing games ( so far ) - so if your system has over 4 gb of ram then I'd say go for it. :)

Back
Top Bottom