Windows 7 Windows 7 64-bit suddenly doesn't load anymore!!

ILoveKnowledge

Hi all! I had my laptop running last night and I woke up this morning and my computer was frozen. It wasn't the "blue screen of death" as many mention as it was simply frozen but when I turned it back on (and continue to turn it back on) it gets stuck on "Starting Windows" without even proceeding to the Windows log-in screen. Next, when I launch a "system repair" it goes through the process but freezes in the blue "system repair" screen without even showing anything..just the blue background sunshine screen and is just stuck there...under "Advanced Boot Options" the "Last Known Good Configuration" gives me no luck either...I then try "Safe Mode" and under "Safe Mode with Command Prompt" it freezes while "Loading Windows Files" and the last file/driver it shows is \windows\system32\DRIVERS\AtiPcie.sys

I don't know what else to do...I have a Windows 7 64-bit boot disc but this is my small laptop which doesn't have a CD/DVD drive. I can use my USB drive if necessary but I attempted to do that but maybe there is some special way I must install it on my USB drive?? Otherwise I am completely stuck and I am hoping someone can help me out...this is driving me crazy! Thanks again in advance..

I have an update! I just did a failed system repair with the repair tool which I was able to boot using my USB drive and it said under "diagnosis and repair details" - "Root cause found: Unspecified changes to system configuration might have caused the problem. Repair action: System files integrity check and repair Result: Failed. Error code = 0x45d Time taken = 2158820 ms"

Last edited:
This little blerb may help you, and other Netbook owners, in the future. At least that's my hope.

I bought my little Acer Aspire ONE Netbook and ran right home to set it up and install my favorite software packages.
I was horrified when I looked for the CD/DVD drive and found, "there is NONE!". Horror of horrors!

I did find out that I could boot up my little toy computer with a bootable USB drive.

It was definitely time to get Creative. Eh?

So I dug out my "hard drive to USB adapter", connected a standard CD/DVD burner to one of its IDE ports and also connected the AC/DC power supply (that comes with the adapter) to the drive, plugged in the USB plug to the Netbook and VOILA, I had a CD/DVD drive on my Netbook. What a life saver! I was finally able to install MS Office and other software that comes on CD's.
That adapter also works for IDE hard drives and even SATA II hard drives or CD drives.
It's a real life saver for the Netbook owner.

Sorry, I cannot post a brand name or source for that adapter. Just Google IDE SATA to USB Adapter.
Your search should turn up this Adapter Package. You'll definitely need one with the AC power supply.
IDE-USBAdapter.jpg

I've bought several of these adapters and I've given some away as gifts to my Techie friends.

Good Luck,
:cool:

PS: One of the first things I did with my little adapter, was to connect an old IDE drive that I had laying around and I booted up with my USB Flash Drive, containing my Ghost Backup program and I did my first backup of my newly set up C: drive.
With a backup 'in the can' so to speak, you can do all sorts of experimenting with your OS. Mess it up, restore your backup and you're right back in business, as if nothing ever happened.
I experimented with loading Windows 7 on my little Netbook, didn't like it at all and restored my Win-XP backup and it was like Win-7 had never been there at all.

Last edited:
Thanks for the posts...I am giving up on my own try now...I went into my harddrive and saved the data that I needed from being lost and format the computer and had it restored to the "original manufactured version" and all of a sudden while I am in my windows it freezes up and I have had to format 3-times since! I ran memory diagnostics immediatly after restoring it as after I have my harddrive formatted and restored, it usually works for about 20-minutes or so and the same problem comes back and I have to have it formatted it again and same thing over and over and over....

Anyone have an idea of what it is??? I am thinking the hard drive? I have done everything possible to try to isolate the problem and fix the problem after reformatting..I am in my 1-year warranty period still but it sucks this had to happen to my notebook as it is very handy for my classes :(. I will contact HP tomorrow as this leaves me with no other alternative :(.

Back