Windows 7 Windows 7 64bit Upgrade

Sorry, don't know your name but, short answer... No.

Cannot "Upgrade" from 32 to 64. If you want to go from XP x86 to Windows 7 x64 best approach is a Clean Install of a Full Version of Win7 Pro. Cool idea going to 64-bit, though.

Regards,
Drew

I have Vista Home Premium 32bit. Can I buy Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade and choose 64bit installation?
Also I have another computer with Windows XP Professional 32bit, so can I also buy Microsoft Windows 7 Professional Upgrade for it and choose 64bit install?
I know that for 64bit install I need clean install and cannot upgrade existing 32bit OS.

Maybe if the 'trick' is used, check w/ 'Radenight' on such a scenario. Cannot do an actual upgrade 32 to 64. So, you sorta seem to be answering you own question in saying you'd have to do a 'clean' if switching 32-bit OS to 64-bit OS; so, if that gets accomplished via the 'trick' then, cool.

Drew

I dont have problem with clean install. Ok, maybe is VHP 32bit license connected to 32bit Windows 7 upgrade and I cannot use upgrade disc for clean 64bit install. But I know that majority of users use XP Professional 32bit, and I think that Microsoft give oportunity to that users for upgrade to Windows 7, 32bit or 64bit.

Check w/ Radenight re: doing this using the 'trick'. As far as I know, in general, basically, you cannot go 32 > 64. Not a license issue but, a technical one. You can't, in effect, mix the two. 32 > 32 or 64 > 64, only. OR do freash & clean, as long as the hardware is an x64 platform, if the native OS is x86.

I have always told clients this path, 32 (upgraded) to 64, is not an option.

Drew

I know that you cannot upgrade (install) 32bit OS with 64bit OS, thats impossible. My question is, can I buy upgrade license for my PC? If I am correct, upgrade CD's are full working install OS'es, they don't care what OS you have. They check if your previous Windows key is legal in Microsoft database.
So, I have XP Pro 32bit and now I want to buy Microsoft Windows 7 Professional Upgrade for 99.99 bucks vs. 199.99 bucks full version.
So, is it possible to make clean install on my XP Pro 32bit and 64bit hardware with that Microsoft Windows 7 Professional Upgrade DVD? I dont think that this DVD is just upgrade DVD.
If it is just upgrade DVD, than I don't have luck. It propably checks your key (and this key is connected to Win XP Pro 32bit, so you cannot install 64bit Windows 7, only 32bit I presume).

Thank you very much for help and sugestions.

Yes, of course you can purchase the upgrade license and do a clean install of a different bit version.

You are correct - the license is different - the dvd's are the same for upgrade or full retail.

Back