Windows 7 Windows 7 and Firefox

gmummery

I have installed the latest version of Firefox on my Windows 7 PC, but when I view a page with video I am informed I need to install a plugin (adobe flash player). I have downloaded and installed the flash player, but I get a warning saying it was not installed properly, and if I retrn to a page that requires the flash play I get the same message that I need to install the flash player. Can anybody help?

for me, it was a matter of installing it manually, then using the "troubleshoot compatibility" with a right click and following those procedures.

Thanks for the replies, I have just downloaded and installed the non IE Flashplayer and thats seems to have done the trick.
Once again, thanks

I avoid that problem by using PortableFirefox and installing it to a separate NTFS partition of my HDD.
I also use this separate partition for PortableThunderbird and PortableOpenOffice as well as a place to install MS Works and other large programs.

The Portable installs are completely customized with all plugins and add-ons and completely self contained.

These Portable Apps were designed by a gent named John Haller to be used from a USB thumb drive and as such don't "install" to the host system (no registry entries etc.).

Installing to your harddrive creates a self contained folder with all the components to run the apps.

I just make shortcuts to the executables on my desktop.

One advantage of this is that flash and other plugins are already installed and active.

Another advantage is you can move the folders to another location, even another Windows computer simply by copying the folders to the new location and creating shortcuts to the executables.

I've been doing this for years and my present Firefox 3 install is completely up to date and I have a copy of it tucked away in case the original gets damaged.

My Tbird is completely setup with all my various pop3 email accounts (2 gmail, my ISP account and my Hotmail)
along with my current addressbook. I also have a backup copy.

If you guys are interested here is a link to Hallers site.

Applications | PortableApps.com - Portable software for USB drives

As you can see Haller etal have been busy.

Great stuff.

BTW, when an update to Firefox, Tbird and others is released you can use the update feature in the Portable versions just like in the static installed versions, including add-ons and plugins.

Last edited:
Hello Frank,

I'm curious and you seem to have the knowledge.

I have a Ativa 2GB U3 Drive.

It only works on XP, not Vista or Windows 7.

Is this a dying technology?

I do realize I can use a simple USB drive for this , just wondering why the U3 drive isn't launching correctly,

Thanks for any help you can give.:)

Hello Frank,

I'm curious and you seem to have the knowledge.

I have a Ativa 2GB U3 Drive.

It only works on XP, not Vista or Windows 7.

Is this a dying technology?

I do realize I can use a simple USB drive for this , just wondering why the U3 drive isn't launching correctly,

Thanks for any help you can give.:)
My bet is the U3 that is the problem.
If you don't need the U3 you can remove it and reformat the drive to be a storage medium only.

There is a freeware tool to remove launchpad, the program that does the U3 thing.

This is permanent.

Link Removed - Invalid URL <--

Once removed you can format to Fat 32, NTFS (with some slight difficulty in XP) and now exfat.

Exfat and NTFS can be done in Win 7 by just right clicking the drive in My Computer and choosing "format".

The choices are fat, fat32, exfat and NTFS.

U3 a dying technology, I don't think so. It's hard to find a USB drive nowdays that doesn't have U3.

Is it useful that is a matter of opinion. I personally don't like the technology and use the U3 Launchpad removal tool
immediately on getting a new U3 drive.

If I want to run programs from a thumb drive I turn to John Haller's portable apps web site. He has created a whole bunch of "portable applications" to run on a Thumb drive and none of them require a "fancy" program embedded on the drive to run.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Hello Frank,

The problem is that mine came with some nice software such as ACDSee

and some I can'y remember.;)

As I stated, icon only appears in the tray in XP.

The U3 frive shows up as CDF ffile system and I believe the other is FAT.

That's the way it came, I've never reformatted it.

Hello Frank,

The problem is that mine came with some nice software such as ACDSee

and some I can'y remember.;)

As I stated, icon only appears in the tray in XP.

The U3 frive shows up as CDF ffile system and I believe the other is FAT.

That's the way it came, I've never reformatted it.
What do you mean the "icon only appears in the tray in XP"?
Does Vista and Win 7 recognize the drive?

Yes. it recognizes both drives, but the U3 icon does not appear in the tray.

When inserted it states CD Drive (Q) Ativa U3 System.

Running LaunchU3 .exe does nothing.. Viewing what on the drive is one zip file (launchpad.zip, Autorun.inf and LaunchU3.exe.

When the second box pops up, it's listed as My 2GB (R) and I can copy, move, view, edit and files on the R: drive.

Yes. it recognizes both drives, but the U3 icon does not appear in the tray.

When inserted it states CD Drive (Q) Ativa U3 System.

Running LaunchU3 .exe does nothing.. Viewing what on the drive is one zip file (launchpad.zip, Autorun.inf and LaunchU3.exe.

When the second box pops up, it's listed as My 2GB (R) and I can copy, move, view, edit and files on the R: drive.
Well maybe you need to unzip the zip file and run a setup file to install launchpad to your Vista or Win 7 machine.

I have never kept U3 long enough to explore this.

My guess is that the .zip folder is for installing the software on the host machine. Dunno.

I did a Google search for Are U3 drives history?

I can up with quite a few hits and software links for apps specifically for U3 drives.

Here's what a typical Launhpad looks like:

Back