Windows 7 Windows 7 and its embedded security certificates store

Varsel

Was wondering if Win 7 has any problem with its CA security certificates store? Is anyone getting a zillion security errors when you surf the net, using chrome/chromium browsers? Can your certificates store still be updated?

You really should upgrade, there are quite a few known exploits already for Windows 7 and since it's EOL it won't receive any patches for them, but yes you should be able to update the cert store.

You really should upgrade, there are quite a few known exploits already for Windows 7 and since it's EOL it won't receive any patches for them, but yes you should be able to update the cert store.

Thanks for the info. I have used XP Pro for the past three years with zero problems, other than three PUPs that were euthanized, and I will continue to stick with it until I start seeing at least some of them much ballyhooed and often promised zombinets, viruses, trojans, rootkits, etc., that M$ and its legion of parrots promised me. It does however have a problem with the CA nazis and their embedded security certificates store, with can neither be updated nor uninstalled, and has me blockaded from about half the URLs I try to get to, via 101 security errors. The cure for the CA cancer in XP is either a uber-certificate to overrule all the others (one ring to rule them all), or a MITM-proxy with SSL/TSL stripping capability. I'm working on it, but with Commissar Newsom putting California into lockdown, my progress has been halted indefinitely....I'd guess for about eight months (for maximum political mileage). I cannot wait that long, so I'll be buying a cheap Win7 PC off Ebay, and using it for the interim. If/when the lockdown ends, I'll resume work on 'fixing' XP Pro, and the Win7 PC will be repurposed as a VPN, router, or airgapped standby. As for whether all the expolits and EOL/EOS blather I have constantly heard about for my daring to use XP Pro is any more accurate for Win 7, I will wait to see. If it proves to be a soft target, I will have to re-evaluate my opinion, but after years of XP Pro use, my current opinion of anything M$ says is about as low as it can go.

It's your system to risk. There are plenty of attacks that require no user interaction to exploit, and malware can run completely hidden from the user and even out dated AV such as rootkits. Hope you don't access financial or other confidential data on that system.

It's your system to risk. There are plenty of attacks that require no user interaction to exploit, and malware can run completely hidden from the user and even out dated AV such as rootkits. Hope you don't access financial or other confidential data on that system.

Nope. Win 7 will be used to surf the net, watch TV shows/movies, etc. Exactly what I used to use XP Pro for, til the CA blockade. I have MX Linux and KodachiOS for online banking and shopping. My XP Pro rig was taken in to the local computer shop once a year for a full malware scan, first when I got it, and every year til the hard drive died. Zero anything, but the aforementioned PUPs. At $100 a pop, that was a lot of money wasted on MS scaremongering. Could of been better spent on checking the hard drive health, or having them do a bare-metal backup. Live and learn.

Back
Top Bottom