Windows 7 Windows 7 asking for activation again?

dbz123

Hey folks. I've had Windows 7 ultimate 64bit (retail) for about 7-8 months now. Just recently put together a new computer rig a few weeks ago and lately, its been notifying me to re-activate my windows 7 for some reason. And when I type in my key, it says "The product key you typed cannot be used to activate windows on this computer." FYI, it isn't an OEM hence it worked perfectly on my previous computer.

I haven't had much time to troubleshoot so I always ignore the notification and everything seems to work fine so far. Although, I'm afraid its gonna be a problem pretty soon if its asking me to reactivate.

Anyone have any ideas? I guess my last resort would be to call microsoft.

use the phone activation
but get acronis or some other imaging software and after you activate create image. with acronis you can do incremental backups every so often but you want to have the image of when you are activated stored away from now on even to a dvd.

Have you tried phone activation:

Start button --> Search box --> type --> slui.exe 4 --> Enter --> Select your country --> Follow the instructions for phone activation, which is free of charge.

Awesome! Did exactly what you said and it worked. There were 9 group of numbers so I just mentioned them and then the automated teller gave me a new one. thanks cybercore!

Not to sure if I understand the Acronis so much, but I'll give it a try I suppose.

Thanks very much again guys for the help!

No problem, we are glad your problem is resolved.

However:

1. You can copy and save those phone request codes so next time you can phone-activate your windows manually.

2. You can use Link Removed - Invalid URL to spend less time restoring your system rather than reinstalling.

(Of course you can use other backup tools like Acronis)

Hello Cybercore
I know this is an old thread but I am having this same problem right now with my laptop and I know you were successful with your advice to dbz123 last year. I have gone to search box and after I typed slui.exe 4 and press enter it comes with the windows activation and asks me for my product key number which has been worn out under my laptop (I wish I knew I could need it when I bought it so I'ld have kept it in a save place) so it doesn't give me any options to select my country......could you help me please...

re;161561]Have you tried phone activation:

Start button --> Search box --> type --> slui.exe 4 --> Enter --> Select your country --> Follow the instructions for phone activation, which is free of charge.[/QUOTE]

Hey, I'm still around :) Unfortunately, I barely remember the troubleshooting I did for this when I got my copy of windows 7. I have a feeling I'll come across this again when I decided to get a new computer and install it on a new mobo. Can't remember if I did any image or serial back ups.

Hopefully Cybercore will have some answers.

Hello!!!!:D
I checked your details and it said your last activity was last year so I decided to post to Cybercore. I appreciate your response, I know that my post was received (sorry pretty new in this) This is driving me crazy and I don't have the money to buy a new software, I rang Toshiba but they say they can't do anything, I'm about to ring Microsoft and see what happens :frown:

Back