Windows 7 back-up and repair

Would like to know if anyone could share any insight with what to do with a back-up DVD-R containing WIM format files of data. How do you extract and utilize the backed-up data? My new HP with Windows 7 got a virus recently and I was forced to restore laptop to factory condition. Resulting in of course, among other things, the loss of MS Office, i-Tunes, and other installed apps. I am re-installing of course, but wanted to ask if anyone has knowledge of what to do with the DVD I created during the back-up process prior to doing the system repair.

Is this similar to a ZIP file in which I need the right application to "unzip" the data for use?
Once I have MS Office re-loaded, will I need to unzip and/or reformat the data for use by MS applications and otherwise?
Did this back-up and save my i-Tunes?

busydog

Would like to know if anyone could share any insight with what to do with a back-up DVD-R containing WIM format files of data. How do you extract and utilize the backed-up data? My new HP with Windows 7 got a virus recently and I was forced to restore laptop to factory condition. Resulting in of course, among other things, the loss of MS Office, i-Tunes, and other installed apps. I am re-installing of course, but wanted to ask if anyone has knowledge of what to do with the DVD I created during the back-up process prior to doing the system repair.

Is this similar to a ZIP file in which I need the right application to "unzip" the data for use?
Once I have MS Office re-loaded, will I need to unzip and/or reformat the data for use by MS applications and otherwise?
Did this back-up and save my i-Tunes?
If you give more detail on how you made this backup, we might be able to help. Was this from 3rd party software?

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.