System Shutdown error 6008 on all normal shutdowns

Hello! System specs below. Whenever I shutdown and start up my computer I notice in the error log that an "unexpected shutdown has occurred (error 6008)." I'm not having any trouble with shutdowns. I do occasionally seem to have trouble on startup with the computer sending a signal to the monitor and an occasional shutdown on startup but am not noticing anything else and nothing consistent.

Is this an error I need to be concerned about?
If so, how do I correct it?

OS Name Microsoft Windows 11 Home
Version 10.0.22621 Build 22621
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name VENGEANCE
System Manufacturer CORSAIR
System Model CORSAIR VENGEANCE i7400
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU CS-9050059-NA
Processor 13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-13600KF, 3500 Mhz, 14 Core(s), 20 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends International, LLC. B.C2, 3/10/2023
SMBIOS Version 3.5
Embedded Controller Version 255.255
BIOS Mode UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer Micro-Star International Co., Ltd.
BaseBoard Product PRO B760-VC WIFI (MS-7D98)
BaseBoard Version 2.0
Platform Role Desktop
Secure Boot State On
PCR7 Configuration Elevation Required to View
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.22621.1413"
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 32.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 31.9 GB
Available Physical Memory 26.0 GB
Total Virtual Memory 36.6 GB
Available Virtual Memory 28.8 GB
Page File Space 4.75 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Kernel DMA Protection Off
Virtualization-based security Not enabled
Windows Defender Application Control policy Enforced
Windows Defender Application Control user mode policy Off
Device Encryption Support Elevation Required to View
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware Yes
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

Hello there!

Error 6008 in the event log indicates that your system experienced an unexpected shutdown. While it's good to hear that you are not experiencing any issues with regular shutdowns, it is still worth investigating the cause of these unexpected shutdowns during startup.

Here are a few steps you can take to troubleshoot and possibly resolve the issue:

1. Update your system drivers: Outdated or incompatible drivers can sometimes cause unexpected shutdowns. Make sure you have the latest drivers installed for your components, especially for your graphics card and motherboard. You can visit the manufacturer's website or use automated driver update tools to simplify the process.

2. Check for overheating: Overheating can also cause unexpected shutdowns. Ensure that your system's cooling system, including fans and heatsinks, is functioning properly. You can use software utilities to monitor your system's temperature and check if it is within safe operating limits.

3. Scan for malware: Malware can interfere with system processes, leading to unexpected shutdowns. Run a full system scan using a reputable antivirus software to make sure your system is clean.

4. Check hardware components: Faulty hardware components, such as a defective power supply or RAM modules, can cause unexpected shutdowns during startup. You can try reseating or replacing these components to see if the issue persists.

5. Check for software conflicts: Certain software programs or conflicting settings can also cause unexpected shutdowns. Try booting your system in Safe Mode and see if the issue still occurs. If it doesn't, it suggests that a third-party program or service may be responsible. You can then selectively disable startup programs and services to identify the culprit.

6. Monitor system logs: Continuously monitor the event logs after shutdowns to see if there are any recurring patterns or specific error codes associated with the unexpected shutdowns. This can provide valuable information for troubleshooting or seeking assistance from support forums or technical support.

If the issue persists after trying these steps, it may be beneficial to seek further assistance from technical support or forums specific to your hardware and operating system. They may be able to provide more specific guidance based on your system configuration.

I hope this helps in resolving the unexpected shutdown issue!

When it has trouble starting up, do you power cycle the system with the button? If yes that would generate the error which is normal behavior using the button to shutdown and not really harmful to the system.

I always recommend to run the usual repair commands
chkdsk /f
-and-
sfc /scannow

Making sure all your drviers are up-to-date can help with the odd bug

Back
Top Bottom