Windows 7 Windows 7 boot.ini

Alkuimista

Windows 7 boot.ini [Solved]

Hello users of this forum,

Im in big trouble, cause i need to access my computer but it´s not booting, when time to boot it tells me that the boot.ini is damaged.
The main problem is that i only have here a DVD with windows RT, and now im running Windows 7 RTM, and in the DVD i have i cant acces the repair option in the install menu when booting from the dvd. :S
I´m hoping theres a way i can access the recovery tools to fix the boot and the mbr. The other problem is that i have only this computer in wich im writing this post, but unfortunatly it doesn have any DVD or CD drive, so i cant burn anything.
Can you guys tell me if there´s a "secret" option on the RT version so i can make the rapair of the boot record, or is there any booting tool i can use with a usb pen drive?

thanks in advanced, (im in panic mode, and running out of ideas)

Last edited:
Hi, I've googled high and low but keep coming back to the same answer.... Using the repair option but obviously thats no good....
I'll keep looking but I'm not confident there's a easy solution to this one....:confused:

Hey, thanks for your help,
one thing i´ve noticed is that if in options to install the new OS i choose to load a driver for my hard drive, when browsing the driver i can reach the folders in my drive´s Pc, so why should it be so complicated to do the same just to fix thye boot...

Sorry that link was no use.. As for using XP recovery console, I would thought that it could only repair xp installations but if in doubt try it.. What have you got to lose?

Hi,

If you are getting a message about boot.ini - do you have XP installed?

What is the RT dvd - do you mean RC?

DVD i have i cant acces the repair option in the install menu when booting from the dvd
in options to install the new OS i choose to load a driver for my hard drive, when browsing the driver i can reach the folders in my drive´s Pc
How can you do that if you don't have a dvd drive - I assume you are booting the RC installer from a pendrive.

Would it be possible to recovery the Mbr with the XP installation disk (recovery console)?
If you are getting a message about boot.in - that is after the mbr has done it's job - there is nothing wrong with the mbr.

You could try either of these options:

1. If you are able to access another pc - and if you have XP installed - you should be able to correct XP boot.ini problems with this ( fixes XP ntldr also) - it works from a usb flash drive.

ntldrusb.zip

http://www.tinyempire.com/notes/ntldrismissing.htm

Link Removed - Invalid URL

OR :

2. If you can boot the 7 installation media from a pendrive - you may be better to use that to create another smallish partition on your HD [ select Drive Options (advanced) when you see the screen listing the partitions - 16gb is plenty.]

Install the RC onto that new partition. Much easier to carry out any further repairs that may be needed from within that new installation.

Last edited:
Thanks SIW2 we could do with some help on this one...:)

The main problem is that i only have here a DVD with windows RT
When you boot from DVD you should be able to start command line with pressing "Shift + F10".

Then enter:
bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /fixboot
bootrec /RebuildBcd

or even:
bootsect /nt60 SYS /force

Hi Unawave,

I think the problem here is that he doesn't have a dvd drive on the working machine he has access to.

He appears to be able to boot the RC installation dvd on the ailing machine - but is not able to get to the system recovery options .

in the DVD i have i cant acces the repair option in the install menu when booting from the dvd. :S
The other problem is that i have only this computer in wich im writing this post, but unfortunatly it doesn have any DVD or CD drive, so i cant burn anything.
:confused:

Last edited:
Well this is how kinda see where we are at with this one..
The machine won't boot properly so he can't access the advanced boot options nor does he have a DVD to either boot from disk or burn a new disk. It looks like his only option would be to re-install from the pendrive originally used..

I think installing from the pendrive is the best way forward.

He may be better creating another partition - using the partitioning functions accessed thru Drive Options (advanced) during the installation process.

Then install the RC onto that new partition. Should only take 20 mins or so.

If he then needs to repair the other installed o/s - it will be simpler from within that new installation.

Thank you guy for all the help, i´ve manage to get a Windows 7 Disk recovery from a friend, and i´ve solved the issue. i´m thinking about creat an iso of the Recovery Disc to post here in the forum, just in case someone suffers from the same. What you think about it? it would be great if it were possible to boot the iso from a pen drive, wich i dont know if its possible. But the image of the recovery disc is very small, compared to have a solution like install the OS from a pen drive, cause you need almost 8Gb in order to do that.

Thank you all

Pheeeew.... Glad you got that sorted, I nearly suggested trying a friend but anyway...Good news :)

Back