Windows 7 Boot - Power On to Desktop

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help and Support' started by Ken7, Aug 16, 2014.

1. Ken7

Ken7 New Member

I'd like to understand how a normal boot displays running Windows 7.

Is there a period where the screen is basically black between the "Starting Windows" logo and the login screen? I typically get a black screen for up to 10 seconds prior to logging in.

I did discover yesterday that the Event Viewer records the boot time under Applications and Services, Microsoft, Windows, Diagnostics-Performance, and Operational. Event ID 100 shows the actual boot time in milliseconds.

2. tbint

tbint Senior Member

It varies from boot to boot. Sometimes it boots very quickly and others times it hangs. Windows 7 is self healing, plus updates, application updates. I have seen a 10 second + lag between splash and login. then the next boot no lag. Simple maintenance like windows update, disk clean.

3. Ken7

Ken7 New Member

Thanks for the help. Is it normal to have a brief black screen between splash and login? That screen contains either a cursor or a small round spinning circle. The black screen lasts maybe 5-10 seconds. Just had the thought that loading video drivers could be a factor.

I've been looking at my boot times in the Event Viewer and generally see a little under 40 seconds. One boot was as fast as 30 seconds. A site I found suggested that those are normal boot times for Windows 7.