Windows 7 Windows 7 BSOD

HalfonE

Hi to all,

It's about one month that, in an apparently random way, I obtain the BSOD some minutes after I turn the pc on.

The last time happened this morning; I have also the crash.dmp file produced by the crash.

How can i analyze the .dmp file to find the BSOD cause? It is safe to attach the .dmp file here?

Thank you very much,

cheers

Ok, I gathered all info request info... or, at least, I hope so :D

Edit: IMPORTANT NOTE: this morning I obtained the BSOD. After that, I turned on my pc again, then I saw under Windows Update that there were many Updates available. All the updates were optional. I did many updates (one by one) before generating the crash_info folder.

I still have some update to do, but for now I'll wait.

Cheers

Attachments

• crash_info.zip
    2.4 MB · Views: 475
Last edited:
Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 50, {fffff880068fca80, 1, fffff9600011de62, 0}

Could not read faulting driver name
Probably caused by : win32k.sys ( win32k!xxxSendMessageTimeout+12e )

Followup:     MachineOwner
Hi,
of the two dump files sent, one would only open properly which is the one posted above.

Causes for a bugcheck 50 can be many and varied:
Bug check 0x50 can occur after the installation of faulty hardware or in the event of failure of installed hardware (usually related to defective RAM, be it main memory, L2 RAM cache, or video RAM).

Another possible cause is the installation of a faulty system service or faulty driver code.

Antivirus software can also trigger this error, as can a corrupted NTFS volume.
Ref: Bug Check 0x50 PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

Your bsod occurred when running FreePDF so try updating this application or using something else like Foxit Reader.

Looking through your system i noticed this:

dtsoftbus01.sys Fri Jan 13 13:45:46 2012: Daemon Tools driver Possible BSOD issues in Win7

Please remove if the bsod continues.

If issues continue:

Find command prompt in the start menu, right click on it, choose properties and then run as admin. Type or copy and paste:

sfc /scannow

Press enter and await results.

This will check for system corruption.

Have you installed any new hardware recently? If so then try removing as a test to see if the bsod stops.

Bugcheck 50 can be caused by faulty RAM. This guide will show you how to check if yours is suspect:
How to Test Your Computer’s RAM for Problems

Please post any new dump files as the more we see the better.

Thank you very much!

I have both Foxit Reader and FreePDF.

I use both for different purposes: Foxit Reader to open PDF files;

I installed FreePDF to be able to print to PDF. Specifically, I have another program (Magic Set Editor) that allows me to create custom cards. This program has the File -> Print feature, but has not "Export to PDF file" feature. So I resolved the issue by installing FreePDF. Now, when I select File -> Print, I have the option to choose "FreePDF" as Printer and generate a PDF file.

I don't know if exist another simplier way to send the "printstream" to a pdf file instead of printing on paper...

The last hardware installed is the Printer: HP DeskJet 3630... maybe just a coincidence?

however, I will start by checking for FreePDF updates. If none are present, I will remove the program and try to search another solution.

Thank u again,
cheers

EDIT: this is the home page of the software. It seems that Project ended on June 2017.

FreePDF Download

Also, I installed GPL Ghostscript because it was needed for freePDF; maybe it's better to uninstall both?

Hello!

So, Friday in the afternoon I uninstalled both FreePDF and GPL Ghostscript.

Saturday morning I turned on my pc without any problem

Sunday morning I turned on my pc without any problem

Monday morning - this morning - I turned on my pc but, after some minutes, it was completely freezed. Even the mouse cursor was stuck on the screen. I cannot do anything, so after some minutes I've turned off my pc in the 'hard' manner (manually pressing the on/off physical button)

I turned on again my pc after about 30 seconds, and during the startup I obtained a BSOD. This time, the BSOD itself was stuck on the screen. What I mean is: on the bottom of the BSOD there was the sentence "Collecting data for crash dump ... " but the BSOD remained for about 10 minutes.

After 10 minutes, I've turned off my pc again in the 'hard' manner (manually pressing the on/off physical button).

I turned on again my pc after 30 seconds, and this time it seems to work...

I controlled inside the C:\Windows\Minidump\ folder: no new .dmp files are there, just the same two as before.

Before turning off the pc for the second time, I wrote down the failure reason:

SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION - was on the top of the BSOD

*** STOP: 0x0000003B (0x00000000C0000005, 0xFFFFF80003545025, 0xFFFFF8800A6C5FD0, 0x0000000000000000) was on the bottom of the BSOD.

The next step:

Looking through your system i noticed this:

dtsoftbus01.sys Fri Jan 13 13:45:46 2012: Daemon Tools driver Possible BSOD issues in Win7

Please remove if the bsod continues.

So, I have to search for a file named "dtsoftbus01.sys" and delete it?

it's ok to do a backup copy before doing so?

Thank u so much,

cheers!

EDIT: I did some search on dtsoftbus01.sys. I choosed to remove completely DAEMON Tools LITE - I think I used it only once, and it was many years ago :D

Now let's see if this will solve the problem.

Last edited:
Edit: is a week now that I didn't obtain the BSOD.

imho the problem is solved, and it was caused by Daemon Tool and Alcohol 52.

Many thanks to kemical for leading me to the solution ;)

Should I mark the post as "solved" - or something like this?

Cheers

Hi HalfonE,
I've been ill this past week so only popped on the forum proper today and very pleased to see your issue is hopefully resolved.

We always leave threads open so do pop back if issues reoccur, all the best!

Hi again,

Unfortunately, there is another problem. Technically, this time I didn't see any BSOD, but the problem is related to the previous one IMO.
Let me explain:

This morning, I turned on my pc. After some minutes, I started Google Chrome.
I was using Google Chrome when, suddenly, the pc wasn't responding to any command. The mouse cursor was stuck on the screen; ctrl + alr + canc had no effect. There was a video from youtube opened in another tab of Chrome, and it started playing the same sound repeatedly and repeatedly ( like a "drill" ).

The only solution was to turn off the pc manually.
I restarted my pc and again I opened Google Chrome. And again, after some minutes, the screen was completely freezed as before.
I turned off my pc manually and restarted.
I opened again Google Chrome for the third time, esactly like the previous two times... but this time no problem happened, it seems working fine.

A similar thing already happened in the past: see my previous post from 25 June:

Monday morning - this morning - I turned on my pc but, after some minutes, it was completely freezed. Even the mouse cursor was stuck on the screen. I cannot do anything, so after some minutes I've turned off my pc in the 'hard' manner (manually pressing the on/off physical button)

I turned on again my pc after about 30 seconds, and during the startup I obtained a BSOD. This time, the BSOD itself was stuck on the screen. What I mean is: on the bottom of the BSOD there was the sentence "Collecting data for crash dump ... " but the BSOD remained for about 10 minutes.

The only difference is that this time I had no BSOD. This is not so good, because I have no .dmp file generated.

1) There is some .log file that can be analyzed to find what can be happened?
2) There is somethig that I can do to collect some information during the problem, when the screen is completely freezed? I only know the ctrl + alt + canc command, but maybe exist some other command to do a thread dump or something like this?

Thank you so much,
cheers!

Hi HalfonE, sorry to hear about your issues:

1) There is some .log file that can be analyzed to find what can be happened?

The easiest to access would the Event log. See if you can find an event which occurred around the same time as your crash.

2) There is somethig that I can do to collect some information during the problem, when the screen is completely freezed? I only know the ctrl + alt + canc command, but maybe exist some other command to do a thread dump or something like this?
Trouble is when a PC becomes locked up like that your options become limited. You could try ctrl + alt + delete which pulls up a menu. If you choose Task Manager you might be able to see the offending program and stop it's operation.

If this is only occurring with Chrome then check under the extension tab and clear out (delete) anything unfamiliar.

Make sure your running the latest version of Chrome too.

Hi Kemical,

thank you for your support :)

The easiest to access would the Event log. See if you can find an event which occurred around the same time as your crash.

I'm searching for Event.log (using the Windows search functionality), but I can't find any file with that name. There is a specific path to check?

Trouble is when a PC becomes locked up like that your options become limited. You could try ctrl + alt + delete which pulls up a menu
Yeah, I tried the ctrl + alt + delete command, but it wasn't working. When pc is locked, it seems to ignore every action I take with mouse and keyboard.

If this is only occurring with Chrome then check under the extension tab and clear out (delete) anything unfamiliar.

I had many extensions, but all of them were disabled. I removed all of them, however, to see if there will be some benefit.

Make sure your running the latest version of Chrome too.

Yes, I'm sure about this. I always mantain all browser up-to-date: Versione 67.0.3396.99 (Build ufficiale) (a 64 bit).

Please, if you can, let me know the path where I can find the Event.log file. Maybe inside that file we'll find some clue...

Thank you,
cheers

Only place i know to look in the event viewer is here:
tw.JPG

Go through the summary of admin events and look for anything chrome or network related ( there may be a chance the network driver is involved).

Resetting Chrome can also help (I've used this process in the past with issues)
Reset Chrome settings to default - Google Chrome Help

Ok, I opened the Event Viewer and looked in Summary of Administrative Events.

Here is the screenshot: I had 2 Critical Events today, and 5 during the last week.

admin events.png

Critical Event ID is 41 and origin is Kernel-Power.

Under Error I have many errors but none of them seems related to Network and / or Chrome.

In my opinion, Chrome is not the source of the problem. For example, this could be a problem that happen some minutes after pc bootstrap, under certain curcumstances; usually, the first thing I do after bootstrap is to open Chrome, so maybe is just a coincidence.
In the next reboot, I'll do this attempt: to not start Chrome at all.

However: the event ID 41 seems the cause of the problem (2 events in the last 24 hour, 2 locked screen): what this could mean?

Thank you,
cheers

EDIT: it seems that Event ID 41 represents the incorrect shutdown I did to restart the pc.

Here are the event Details, exported directly from the Event Viewer:

Attachments

• eventDetails.txt
    990 bytes · Views: 434
Last edited:
Is your network driver recent?

The above details probably relate as you say an incorrect shutdown or bsod.

The first thing to check is driver updates and make sure your all up to date with all drivers as well as apps too.

Hello again!

unfortunately, another BSOD happened this morning.

The first thing to check is driver updates and make sure your all up to date with all drivers as well as apps too.

For the driver updates: I first installed all Windows Updates and checked with "Device Management" built-in Windows functionality that all drivers are up-to-date.

I then installed also DriverEasy - a tool to update drivers. DriverEasy found many drivers outdated. This is very strange: why Windows is telling me that all drivers are updated, and DriverEasy is telling me that they are obsolete?

Maybe I found the reason: the PC manifacturer is Packard-Bell, and is different from the manifacturers of single components of my PC.
So, for example, I have a 802.11n Wireless LAN Card (by Ralink Technology corp.) and the current version of the driver is from 25 November 2013.
If Ralink Technology corp. publish a driver update for his Wireless LAN Card, Packard-Bell should take that driver, modify it if needed, and publish the update for all Packard-Bell PC owners. I think Packard-Bell is not updating his drivers anymore.

However: should I trust Windows when it tells to me the all driver are updated, or should I trust DriverEasy (or any another software to update drivers) and download and install the updated drivers with the tool?

Back to the BSOD:
This morning I turned my pc on, opened Google Chrome, started a download of a file and, as soon as the download started, the BSOD happened.
The BSOD itself was stuck on the screen. What I mean is: on the bottom of the BSOD there was the sentence "Collecting data for crash dump ... " but the BSOD remained for about 10 minutes.
After 10 minutes of BSOD, I turned off my pc manually and restarted, but unfortunately no .dmp file was generated.
This thing (BSOD stuck on the screen) already happened to me: see my previous post in this thread from Jun 25 2018.

I took a note about the error:

SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

***STOP: 0x0000003B (0x00000000C0000005, 0xFFFFF8000351379E, 0xFFFFF8800C037730, 0x0000000000000000)

Thank you very much!
Cheers

I then installed also DriverEasy - a tool to update drivers. DriverEasy found many drivers outdated. This is very strange: why Windows is telling me that all drivers are updated, and DriverEasy is telling me that they are obsolete?
Hi HalfonE,

as a rule we do not recommend apps such as the one you describe. The reason behind this is because they can cause issues as they don't always get the correct drivers and are best avoided.

It's usually best to go by what your machine is saying as opposed to the app.. (regarding drivers)

It sounds like your issues seem to coincide with the use of chrome?

If this is the case make sure Chrome is updated to the latest version by clicking on the three bars or dots top right of the browser, from the drop down menu choose 'Help' followed by 'About Google Chrome'.

Something else to check is your extensions. Use the same drop down menu but click 'More Tools' followed by 'Extensions'. Typical extensions will be things like ad blockers and google doc's. If you see something you don't recognise then remove.

The fact your not getting any dump files created could mean you either have:

No pagefile: If this is something you've never changed then it's probably fine but it needs to be enabled for dump file creation.

Hard drive issues: Please right click on your C drive, choose properties, Tools then 'Check now'. Tick both boxes to repair and look for bad sectors. You'll need to reboot if i remember correctly for chkdsk to run properly.

Memory issues: Please run the windows memory test
  • Click Start, type mdsched.exe in the Search box, and then press Enter.
  • Choose whether to restart the computer and run the tool immediately or schedule the tool to run at the next restart.
  • Windows Memory Diagnostics runs automatically after the computer restarts and performs a standard memory test automatically. If you want to perform fewer or more tests, press F1, use the Up and Down arrow keys to set the Test Mix as Basic, Standard, or Extended, and then press F10 to apply the desired settings and resume testing.
  • When testing is completed, the computer restarts automatically. You’ll see the test results when you log on.
Run Diagnostics to Check Your System for Memory Problems

Hi kemical,
thank you as usual for your support.

Ok, I didn't use DriverEasy esactly for that reason: I usually don't trust this kind of sotware.

I checked Chrome: is updated and I removed also two unused extension. They were extension made by Google itself (Google Keep and Chrome Remote Desktop), however they were useless for me and so I removed them.

About the missing dump file, I'm sure that at least one dump file was created in one of my previous BSOD. If u see my post on this Thread (Jun 22, 2018) I attached the dump file obtained after that BSOD. I didn't change any setting about pagefile or similar things.

I cannot restart my pc now, so I planned both mdsched and chkdsk at the next restart.

I'll let u know the results of both test.

About the BSOD I obtained this morning, the

SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

***STOP: 0x0000003B (0x00000000C0000005, 0xFFFFF8000351379E, 0xFFFFF8800C037730, 0x0000000000000000)

can be used to get information about the error occurred?

Thank you,
cheers

Back
Top Bottom