Windows 7 Windows 7 Clean Install

TenaciousRock

Hello all,

I have a Dell XPS M1530 which was ordered in 2008 with Vista. Eventually something happened and I wiped the system and replaced it with Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. Recently my laptop has kinda died on me and I don't think it's worth the money to fix it, so I am looking for a new laptop. Unfortunately I hate Windows 8 and don't want a laptop that comes with it. If I am forced to get a laptop that comes with 8 I'd like to find my Win7 disc and wipe the new laptop and put on Win7 64-bit. Are there any issues that could arise from this as far as compatibility issues, driver issues, etc?

I assume I'd have to find drivers somewhere...is there a central repository for drivers for an undertaking like this?

Also, I Win 7 registered on my Dell laptop obviously, is it possible for me to reuse the same key?

Well for starters Windows 8 can be customized to look like Windows 7. Try looking down in Windows 8 forum for ideas and help. Windows can only be installed on one PC at a time a liscence key. If it was a full retail disk it is transferable but an OME disk is not. You should still be able to purchase a laptop with Windows 7 if you look around.
Joe

Sooner rather than later you will have to adapt to Windows 8. You can configure it to operate very much like Windows 7 and we can help you with that. I have only recently moved to Windows 8 as I was similarly reluctant to leave Windows 7 which I have found excellent but I have soon adapted to it. If you really want to stick with 7 a bit longer then you will be able to reinstall your win 7 provided, as Joe said, it is a retail copy, not an OEM. You will have no problem downloading the drivers from the Dell site which I have always found excellent. I'd give Windows 8 a serious try tho.

For your driver requirement, suggest that you get it from the manufacturer's support site. Top manufacturer's have good support to windows 7 and 8. You may also get your driver in microsoft update with generic drivers.

Just a plain comment by a plain man, Windows is Windows, and if you once used 3.11 or Windows 98, using Windows 7 isn't very different, nor will Windows 8 be, probably. Windows 7 can be accustomed to Windows 95/98 look and function, highly. I'm quite convinced that a future Windows 11... whatever, can too.

I'm with Windows 7 Professional, no keen interest for Windows 8. You can always buy a computer AND OS plus other software separately. About reusing your Dell key - major manufacturers quite often limit their OS versions to their own computers, quite the reason for me to buy INDEPENDENT computers combined with FULL VERSION OS. No one tells me about my PC, it's mine totally, and my Windows 7 Professional is guaranteed support to 2020 or 2024.

The grand word... Freedom.

Back