Windows 7 Windows 7 device manager doesn't show/can't find Realtek wireless card.

seanritner

I have Windows 7 on a partition on my HDD, and I cannot connect to the internet. I traced the problem back to lack of my Realtek wireless card driver. But when I go to Device Manager, it only displays my ethernet controller. It doesn't say Realtek RTL8187B Wireless 802.11 b/g Mbps USB Network Adapter like it does when I look at it with my Vista. I have tried running drivers, but they say they cannot work with that OS, and I tried compatibility mode with them and they installed, but after restarting, it was still not shown and no internet connection could be made?

What could be the problem? Or do I just have to wait for an update?

I have a Toshiba Satallite A205, laptop

Make sure you have the card turned on. Some computers have a wireless switch, others use hotkeys. Otherwise, try turning the card on using a different OS, then boot into W7b (assuming you have a dual boot setup). Possibly there is a command line switch to turn on the card.

I have Toshiba Flash Cards enabled on my Vista portion and those use Fn keys, but I went to try and use them In W7b and they weren't installed. :(
I also tried turning the switch on and off, restarting, and switching OS's but it still isn't recognized. Maybe it's just due to the fact that it is still in beta, but I wanted to try all the new features.

Can I get Toshiba Flash cards from somewhere on the net, or even my Vista portion and drop them on a USB to transfer over? Thats how I have been getting files to and from so far.

I was having the same problem as you. Device manager keep saying unknown hardware and I could not access the internet. The way I solved it was to use a usb wireless adapter. If you can try accessing the Internet with a wired connection or a usb adapter. Windows 7 should download and install the correct driver for you.

I never thought of that, I guess I'll have to go downstairs and plug in!

Thanks

UPDATE: WOW It worked thanks! Now for some virus protection lol

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom