Windows 7 Windows 7 General and Audio Lag (Severe)

shygirl1999

Ever since I had gotten my new laptop with Windows 7 instead I have had nothing but problems with lag while playing World of Warcraft (WoW) or doing anything that requires sound (sometimes even when it has nothing to do with sound).

Most annoying is:
Playing WoW (with game audio shut off) and having to run Ventrillio to use forparty or guild chat and I get extreme audio distortion and lag to the point where it makes me literally want to throw my headset out of the window. I can't even talk back to them because it makes my party take off their headsets as well to tell me to stop talking on vent since they hear it as well.

I ----m -- (lag and static here) go--n-- (lag and static here) --- Yu----
(the -'s mean its just ineligible with the lag) that's pretty much the best way I can explain it.

I know it is not my internet because my previous laptop(s) I could run wow and be fine on vent at the same time. No problem; now it's just ... awful since I got a new laptop with this OS.

There is pretty much lag anywhere I go; even typing this message, (letters didn't show up until after a couple seconds upon keying them in)

===What I have tried===
1) Disable Multimedia Class Scheduler (Sure; it fixes the audio lag, problem is .. NO SOUND AT ALL = No Vent)
2) Reduce game network latency in Windows 7 or Vista (
Reduce game network latency in Windows 7 or Vista) - This did Nothing.
3) http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135 (I can't find the problem with this!)

Last edited:
Last edited:
Sorry I missed your screenshots. Your problem is Firefox. It should not be using 76% CPU at idle! If you used IE you would probably be OK. My suggestion is to totally uninstall Firefox (use RevoUninstaller) and reinstall it with a clean copy that you download using IE. Good luck.

I did, look at my screenshots.

I did a virus scan and it came out clean.

Sorry I missed your screenshots. Your problem is Firefox. It should not be using 76% CPU at idle! If you used IE you would probably be OK. My suggestion is to totally uninstall Firefox (use RevoUninstaller) and reinstall it with a clean copy that you download using IE. Good luck.

It did not work,
After I uninstalled firefox I looked at my processes again and "System Idle Process" was spiking to a good 80-90 cps usage. And also the "Windows Audio Device Graph Isolation" process spiked when I did something simple like playing a youtube video. It looks like if it's not one thing it's another that using all the cpu.

Is there a reason why the cpu is being used up like this? I had no problem on Vista - I could have WoW, Vent, Firefox (all with sound going) No Problem; now it's aweful.

Last edited:
It is a GOOD THING when system idle is at 80-90% that means that running processes are at 10-20%. Send me another screenshot of your process usage and let's work on this some more. Firefox was not good but there is something else that is robbing your CPU time.
It did not work,
After I uninstalled firefox I looked at my processes again and "System Idle Process" was spiking to a good 80-90 cps usage. And also the "Windows Audio Device Graph Isolation" process spiked when I did something simple like playing a youtube video. It looks like if it's not one thing it's another that using all the cpu.

Is there a reason why the cpu is being used up like this? I had no problem on Vista - I could have WoW, Vent, Firefox (all with sound going) No Problem; now it's aweful.

I have no idea what is going on here. In the second screen shot you have three copies of internet explorer running and the wow.exe is consuming an inordinate amount of memory as well as CPU. No wonder your response is slow. How much physical RAM do you have and how much cache have you assigned for virtual memory? Those two values might offer a clue.

wow.exe is my game; World of Warcraft.
How do i go about checking that?

Rt-clk on My Computer.... your Installed Memory (RAM) will be shown. From that same screen, click on Advanced system settings and Performance/Settings and then Advanced. It will show the amount of virtual memory that has been assigned.

wow.exe is my game; World of Warcraft.
How do i go about checking that?

Rt-clk on My Computer.... your Installed Memory (RAM) will be shown. From that same screen, click on Advanced system settings and Performance/Settings and then Advanced. It will show the amount of virtual memory that has been assigned.

Processor: AMD Athlon (tm) X2 Dual-Core QL-65 2.10 GHz
Installed Memory (RAM): 4.00 GB (3.75 Gig Useable)
Virtual Memory -
~ Total paging file size for all drives 3838MB

Edit: I clicked the change button and it says this too:

~ Total paging file size for all drives
() Minimum Allowed: 16MB
() Recomended: 5757 MB
() Currently allocated: 3838MB

Don't know what any of that means.

Last edited:
Your memory parameters don't explain what is going on here, you shouldn't have a problem. Even audiodg.exe is running with an elevated CPU demand. I did a Google on "wow.exe memory usage" and found that many others are having similar problems but mostly with single core systems (you have a dual core). If there is a solution, it is probably burried somewhere in the Google listing you will access. I believe there is even a World of Warcraft Forum you might try. You also might try terminating the audiodg.exe service from task manager and see if that helps but it is probably necessary for your game. Maybe some others might pitch in here that have used this game. Good luck.

Processor: AMD Athlon (tm) X2 Dual-Core QL-65 2.10 GHz
Installed Memory (RAM): 4.00 GB (3.75 Gig Useable)
Virtual Memory -
~ Total paging file size for all drives 3838MB

Edit: I clicked the change button and it says this too:

~ Total paging file size for all drives
() Minimum Allowed: 16MB
() Recomended: 5757 MB
() Currently allocated: 3838MB

Don't know what any of that means.

Your memory parameters don't explain what is going on here, you shouldn't have a problem. Even audiodg.exe is running with an elevated CPU demand. I did a Google on "wow.exe memory usage" and found that many others are having similar problems but mostly with single core systems (you have a dual core). If there is a solution, it is probably burried somewhere in the Google listing you will access. I believe there is even a World of Warcraft Forum you might try. You also might try terminating the audiodg.exe service from task manager and see if that helps but it is probably necessary for your game. Maybe some others might pitch in here that have used this game. Good luck.

I tried to disable the audiodg.exe and it killed all audio. I need the audio for vent (but the lag is killing my audio too). How do i check how the cpu is handling stuff? everything is just so slow. Even typing this message it sometime takes a few seconds for something to show up, and then freezes (with a white screen and a the circle loading cursor and then says "Not Responding" for a second before i can continue to type)

I don't think it's WoW, I think it's my computer in general being slow. I don't even have WoW up right now and it's lagging. Programs are constantly going to "Not Responding" ...)

And also inactive windows will sometimes pop-up for like a second (out of nowhere) then pop back down (ie: I'm playing my game and out of nowhere an inactive firefox window will pop-up then go back to my bar; with my mouse no where NEAR the task bar). This is very very frustrating.

Last edited:
It looks to me like even though you did a virus scan you have malware or rootkits at work. I would download and run Spybot Search and Destroy and MalwareBytes Antimalware (Google for a download link). I would be VERY surprised if they don't turn up some activity that is eating your resources.

I tried to disable the audiodg.exe and it killed all audio. I need the audio for vent (but the lag is killing my audio too). How do i check how the cpu is handling stuff? everything is just so slow. Even typing this message it sometime takes a few seconds for something to show up, and then freezes (with a white screen and a the circle loading cursor and then says "Not Responding" for a second before i can continue to type)

I don't think it's WoW, I think it's my computer in general being slow. I don't even have WoW up right now and it's lagging. Programs are constantly going to "Not Responding" ...)

And also inactive windows will sometimes pop-up for like a second (out of nowhere) then pop back down (ie: I'm playing my game and out of nowhere an inactive firefox window will pop-up then go back to my bar; with my mouse no where NEAR the task bar). This is very very frustrating.

It looks to me like even though you did a virus scan you have malware or rootkits at work. I would download and run Spybot Search and Destroy and MalwareBytes Antimalware (Google for a download link). I would be VERY surprised if they don't turn up some activity that is eating your resources.

It did find a bunch load: 586 problems
Tracking Cookies: 87
Application Path: 4
Windows Registry: 70
File Associations: 199
ActiveX Controls: 40
Invalid Shorcuts: 65
System Services: 121

Is there a program that can get rid of them free? I don't have the extra money to pay for the program right now. But I want to get this fixed.

Thanks for all the help.

I don't which one(s) you used but both have freeware versions and can remove these problems for free.

It did find a bunch load: 586 problems
Tracking Cookies: 87
Application Path: 4
Windows Registry: 70
File Associations: 199
ActiveX Controls: 40
Invalid Shorcuts: 65
System Services: 121

Is there a program that can get rid of them free? I don't have the extra money to pay for the program right now. But I want to get this fixed.

Thanks for all the help.

I don't which one(s) you used but both have freeware versions and can remove these problems for free.

I used the one you told me about: MalwareBytes Antimalware; it wont let remove it unless i pay $30. I don't know where to find free ones, when I did a search, I tried a few others and they are the same, pay to remove.

Back