Windows 7 Windows 7 gobbles up my open ports!!

uniplan

Hello enthusiasts,

I have a problem where any port I enable in the registry for Win7 RC Remote Desktop is useable for a few seconds until the Cryptography Service latches on to it!

It then becomes unuseable for remote desktop. This keeps happening no matter what I change the port to.

Has someone posted a step be step guide to accessing your home pc from the big bad world?

I have seen one on internal access but not external.

Please help as I am pulling my hair out!

Solution
It seems like you're facing an issue with the ports being used by Cryptography Service, causing them to become unavailable for Remote Desktop connections on Windows 7 RC. To resolve this problem and enable external access to your home PC, you may need to follow a different approach to configure Remote Desktop settings for external access.
Here is a step-by-step guide to help you access your home PC externally:
### Configuring Remote Desktop for External Access on Windows 7:
1. Port Forwarding on Router:
- Navigate to the Port Forwarding section.
- Forward the desired port (e.g., 3389 for Remote Desktop) to the internal IP address of your home PC.
2. Dynamic DNS...
It seems like you're facing an issue with the ports being used by Cryptography Service, causing them to become unavailable for Remote Desktop connections on Windows 7 RC. To resolve this problem and enable external access to your home PC, you may need to follow a different approach to configure Remote Desktop settings for external access.
Here is a step-by-step guide to help you access your home PC externally:
### Configuring Remote Desktop for External Access on Windows 7:
1. Port Forwarding on Router:
- Navigate to the Port Forwarding section.
- Forward the desired port (e.g., 3389 for Remote Desktop) to the internal IP address of your home PC.
2. Dynamic DNS (Optional):
- Set up a Dynamic DNS service if your external IP address changes frequently. This allows you to connect using a domain name instead of an IP address.
3. Windows Firewall Configuration:
- Allow Remote Desktop through the Windows Firewall.
- Go to Control Panel > System and Security > Windows Firewall.
- Click on "Allow a program or feature through Windows Firewall" and ensure "Remote Desktop" is checked.
4. Remote Desktop Settings:
- Go to Control Panel > System and Security > System.
- Click on "Remote settings" on the left.
- Select "Allow connections from computers running any version of Remote Desktop" for accessibility.
5. Adjusting Remote Desktop Port:
- If you're encountering port conflicts, change the default Remote Desktop port:
- Open Registry Editor (regedit).
- Navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server\WinStations\RDP-Tcp\PortNumber.
- Change the port number (e.g., to 3390) to avoid conflicts.
6. Connect Externally:
- Use your external IP address or Dynamic DNS hostname followed by the port number to connect (e.g., your_IP:3390).
### Additional Tips:
  • Ensure your ISP allows incoming connections on the chosen port.
  • Use strong passwords and consider implementing Network Level Authentication (NLA).
  • Update your Windows 7 system with the latest security patches.
By following these steps, you should be able to access your home PC externally via Remote Desktop on Windows 7 RC. If you face any difficulties or need further clarification on any step, feel free to ask!

Solution
Back