Windows 7 Windows 7 license question

mozzarz

I have an OEM copy of Windows 7 from a few years ago. The computer I had used it on has been recycled and no longer exists. Can I install this on my new homemade computer by purchasing a new license? If so how do I do it?

Neither Microsoft nor legitimate retail stores will sell you just a license. You will get both the product key and the installation software for one price.
If you find a source where you can just buy a license (product key), you are looking at a counterfeit source.
That means your "OEM copy of Windows 7" is basically of little use at all.

Theoretically what you could do is; download the ISO of your version of windows 7 and burn it to a DVD. Then use that to do a clean install with your old key. I'm not sure how this would work with the new UEFI BIOS, seeing how the Key is embedded into the UEFI.

There is a hoard of commercial and practical reasons why this is a non-starter, For a start it contravenes MS licensing, the old key will almost certainly not work, as an OEM product it is likely to have incompatibilities with your new machine, it will fail validation - all in all it will give you so much grief it will not be worth the hours of effort and frustration and you will end up buying a new install disk.

Seems to me that if one were to obtain a new license then a new key would be included. So much for validation.

Theoretically what you could do is; download the ISO of your version of windows 7 and burn it to a DVD. Then use that to do a clean install with your old key. I'm not sure how this would work with the new UEFI BIOS, seeing how the Key is embedded into the UEFI.

Don't need to download an ISO since I have an OEM copy which installs perfectly well except it won't validate because I need a new key. That is why I am asking about purchasing a new license. With the new license will come a new key. Maybe what I'll do is just go buy a new OEM copy with it's own (unused) key.

Neither Microsoft nor legitimate retail stores will sell you just a license. You will get both the product key and the installation software for one price.

Well then that answers my question. To get a new license I buy another OEM. Simple.

Back
Top Bottom