Windows 7 Windows 7 Not Playing Nice With Win2000

wm_hunter

I am having difficulties accessing the network share to my Windows 2000 printer [printer attatched via USB to Win2000 computer, shared among all computers]. Both computers are behind a router, and are on the same workgroup. My Vista machine did not have any problems accessing this printer or authenticating to Windows 2000, but Windows 7 seems to. The problem is when I go to connect to the PC, I am prompted for a username and password, but upon entering a valid one, it does not connect and comes back as invalid.

I attempted to navigate to the share manually through the "add pritner" device, but this did not work either. [Giving //computername/printer]

Any assistance would be great =), thank you.

Solution
It seems like you're encountering issues connecting to a network share from your Windows 7 machine to a Windows 2000 computer that hosts a shared printer. This problem could be due to various reasons, such as authentication settings, network configurations, or security policies. Here are some steps you can take to troubleshoot and potentially resolve this issue:

Troubleshooting Steps:​

1. Check Network Discovery and File Sharing Settings:
    • Make sure network discovery and file sharing are enabled on both the Windows 7 and Windows 2000 computers.
    • Ensure that they are part of the same workgroup, as you mentioned.
    []Create a User Account:
    • Create a user account on the Windows 2000 computer with...
It seems like you're encountering issues connecting to a network share from your Windows 7 machine to a Windows 2000 computer that hosts a shared printer. This problem could be due to various reasons, such as authentication settings, network configurations, or security policies. Here are some steps you can take to troubleshoot and potentially resolve this issue:

Troubleshooting Steps:​

1. Check Network Discovery and File Sharing Settings:
    • Make sure network discovery and file sharing are enabled on both the Windows 7 and Windows 2000 computers.
    • Ensure that they are part of the same workgroup, as you mentioned.
    []Create a User Account:
    • Create a user account on the Windows 2000 computer with the same username and password as your Windows 7 machine.
    [
    ]Ensure Proper Permissions:
    • Check the shared printer's permissions on the Windows 2000 computer to ensure that your Windows 7 user account has the necessary permissions to access it.
    []Use the IP Address:
    • Instead of using the computer name (//computername/printer), try connecting using the IP address of the Windows 2000 computer (e.g., //192.168.1.2/printer).
    [
    ]Mapping the Network Drive:
    • Instead of connecting via the "add printer" wizard, try mapping the network drive in Windows 7. Open the Windows Explorer, go to "Computer," and click on "Map network drive."
    []Clear Saved Credentials:
    • Clear any saved credentials on the Windows 7 machine that might be conflicting with the authentication process.
    [
    ]Firewall and Antivirus:
    • Temporarily disable the firewall and antivirus on both the Windows 7 and Windows 2000 computers to see if they are causing the issue.
  2. Run Network Troubleshooter:
    • Use the Windows 7 Network Troubleshooter to diagnose and resolve network-related problems.

Additional Suggestions:​

• Make sure the Windows 2000 computer's printer sharing settings are correctly configured.
      • Update the network drivers on the Windows 7 machine.
      • Restart both computers and the router.
      Try these steps and see if they help in resolving the issue. If the problem persists, feel free to provide more details for further assistance.

Solution
Back