Windows 7 Windows 7 notified me I have a pirate version

snarils

Hi,
My computer notified me last night that my version of Windows 7 Ultimate may be a pirated version! And I think it intends to shut windows down on my computer if I do not provide an Activation Key that it likes.

I bought a Full install (OEM) version of Windows 7 Ultimate last night and should receive it in the mail within the next few days.
My first question is:
Can I use the Key coming with the OEM disk to plug into my current installation and validate. Or will I now need to re-install windows fresh?

Also, I know that OEM versions have a one use key, and cannot be used on another computer, which is a problem for me (as I intend to build a computer for my kids)
My Second question is:
If I buy a upgrade version, can I use that on top of the OEM version?
For instance, I use the OEM key tonight to validate my copy of windows. If I go buy a upgrade version later, can I use them both to install Win 7 on several computers? as I know that Windows 7 is a pain to try and install on a clean drive.
Or, should I just bite the bullet here and buy a Full install version of Win 7 ultimate, that is not OEM version. (like 300 bucks)
?

Can I use the Key coming with the OEM disk to plug into my current installation and validate.

No, you need to do a clean install of win 7 that you have purchased.

Also, I know that OEM versions have a one use key, and cannot be used on another computer, which is a problem for me (as I intend to build a computer for my kids)

You can reinstall your system but only on your machine on which the system was initially installed.

What Microsoft won't tell you about Windows 7 licensing | Ed Bott’s Microsoft Report | ZDNet.com

Your copy of Windows is locked to the PC on which you purchased it. You cannot transfer that license to another PC.

You can upgrade any components or peripherals on your PC and keep your license intact. You can replace the motherboard with an identical model or an equivalent model from the OEM if it fails. However, if you personally replace or upgrade the motherboard, your OEM Windows license is null and void.

If I go buy a upgrade version later, can I use them both to install Win 7 on several computers?

Probably not, I'm not sure.

I take it then that the motherboard is the determining factor for the OEM version then yes?
So, I could upgrade everything else in the box except for that then. Well that's not too bad then, I could go up to the i7 950 at some point.
I just built the computer, so it really shouldnt be an issue I guess.
Asus Motherboard for Windows 7 (don't recall the model#)
Intel i7 860
4gig DDR3
Nvidia GTX 260

only problem has been windows really, should have known it wasn't a valid version. oh well, I will likely end up buying the full version ultimate install or just install XP on my kids computer.

If you got the Win 7 from a torrent site it could also contain malware as well as being not genuine.
I would use OEM that is on it's way for the new computer, ought to work great with those specs.
As for purchasing another copy or two for your other needs, why not consider the Home premium versions and save about $112.00 at NewEgg.
The Ultimate version at NewEgg is $291.99 vs. $179.99 for the Home Premium (both full retail).
I personally don't find a need for the extra features in the Utimate and can't justify the extra cost over the Home Premium.

If you got the Win 7 from a torrent site it could also contain malware as well as being not genuine.
I would use OEM that is on it's way for the new computer, ought to work great with those specs.
As for purchasing another copy or two for your other needs, why not consider the Home premium versions and save about $112.00 at NewEgg.
The Ultimate version at NewEgg is $291.99 vs. $179.99 for the Home Premium (both full retail).
I personally don't find a need for the extra features in the Utimate and can't justify the extra cost over the Home Premium.

Thank you for the information, I may just do that.

I suppose I could look this up for myself, but then we couldn't chat about it on the forum!

What are the differences between the home version and the ultimate?

I thought I had read somewhere that "ultimate" is geared toward business use, is that true?

I use my computer mainly for pretty standard things: email, Video, Surfin and playing PC games.

I think the Home Premium would suit you just fine.
The retail product contains both the 64 bit and 32 bit install DVD's.
You might want to consider using the 64 bit version for your new computer since the processor is 64 bit.
You can then add more than 4 GB of ram and have it available to Win 7.
32 bit OS's cannot mathematically address more than 4 GB of ram.
2^32 or 2 to the 32nd equals about 4 GB whereas 2^64 is an enormous number and a 64 bit system can theoretically address
several Exabytes.
Once you activate either version however you are stuck with it unless you can talk MS into letting you revert to the other version.
If you go that route (64 bit) don't activate it until you are sure all your hardware and game software is supported.

Back
Top Bottom