Windows 7 Windows 7 Opens Applications But They Are Not Visible?

RononDex

Hello,

I just installed Windows 7 on a new hard drive. Everything went great and it was a fast install. I booted into Windows 7 and added it to my domain. I rebooted and logged into my domain. So far everything is good. I installed ATI 9.11 Catalyst driver, rebooted. Installed Firefox and everything is still fine. I installed my ASUS 81717 driver for Windows 7 and rebooted. Now when I open a program it opens but I cannot see it. I open Firefox and I get the wait spinning circle and then nothing. I open task manager and Firefox is running. This has happened after 2 fresh installs of Windows 7. I did this same install 3 months ago and everything worked great. I know it's possibly the ASUS driver but why now? I have been using the ASUS Xonar D2 driver for over 3 months without a problem. Small note, I had to reinstall Windows 7 because I got a Trojan Root Kit that I couldn't get rid of. I deleted the partition and created a new one. I did NOT format, could this be the problem? I just cannot believe a root kit can hold on after a deleted partition. The more I think about it while I type makes this an impossibility. But since I have used this setup process before with success it makes me second guess myself.

Any help will be most certainly appreciated,

RononDex

Specs:
Intel C2D E6600 @ 3gHZ - EVGA 680i (P24) - Sapphire HD4870 775/4200 - 2x1GB OCZ XTC Platinum @ 808mHZ - ASUS Xonar D2 PCI Ultra Fidelity - Logitec Z5500 - Windows 7 Ultimate RTM - Corsair TX750 PSU - Plextor SATA 16X 755SA

Someone the other day had a problem something like yours and it turned out the hard drive was spinning down and taking too long to spin back up. You might check your power settings.

If things work normally until after you install something, the something has to be suspect.

When you reinstalled, did you format the small partition? I have no idea if it would be necessary, but something to think about next time.

Someone the other day had a problem something like yours and it turned out the hard drive was spinning down and taking too long to spin back up. You might check your power settings.

If things work normally until after you install something, the something has to be suspect.

When you reinstalled, did you format the small partition? I have no idea if it would be necessary, but something to think about next time.

Thanks for the reply, no I didn't format. I was also thinking that I may want to do that. I will give that try when I get home.

Thanks,

RononDex

Wht device is this ASUS 81717 ?

Did you updte or or was it neccessary?
It is the ASUS Xonar D2 sound card. I am having trouble remembering if I installed this driver during my first build of Windows 7 RTM. I may have had another ASUS driver installed first and then upgraded to this driver. The old driver wouldn't work with Windows 7. I had to upgrade to 81717 driver to get my ASUS Xonar working in Windows 7. It was a great day because it's such a great sound card. I think I am going to install Windows 7 again, do full updates, install ATI, Firefox and then the ASUS to see if that does anything. First I will do a true format of the drive before installing Windows 7 this time.

RononDex

Did a CD come with the card.

If there are Vista drivers on it they may work.

Yes, true format is the way to go.

WOOHOO!! LOL! I figured out what the problem was. It was the ASUS Xonar 81717 driver along with the ATI 9.11 Catalyst. I used my brain and started creating System Restore points! What a nice feature! Everything was installed and working great except for the Xonar D2 81717 driver. I installed it and rebooted and my windows would open but were not visible anymore. I restored my system to the point before the install and rebooted. Awesome, my system was working again. I went to ASUS's website and found out that they actually released a new driver named 81775!! Anyone who owns a Xonar will know they release maybe 2 drivers A YEAR!!! Uhhhgg! Anyway, I installed the new driver and rebooted. When I got back into Windows everything worked as it should. I am not sure why the old driver that worked stopped working. I can only figure it was something that didn't gel with 9.11 Catalyst driver and Xonar 81717. Oh well, I hope this can help someone else out. PC Troubleshooting 101 - When ever you have a problem make sure you have the newest driver even if they never come out with drivers. Just CHECK THE WEBSITE!!!

Thanks for the replies and take care,

Now on to L4D2!! :)

RononDex

Back