Windows 7 Windows 7 RC 64-Bit Stuck on "Please Wait..." Screen

Chase Benedict

Hey all,

Yesterday I installed Windows 7 RC (Build 7100) onto my computer. Everything worked fine until after I got home from work and booted it up. It was fine, without any error messages, but it gets stuck on the "Please Wait" screen after the logo splash. I can restart and run the machine in safe mode and it works fine (well, as fine as safe mode is).

System Specs:

Intel Quad-core 2.4 gHz processor
Nvidia 260 SSC video card 896mb
8 GB DDR2 RAM

Another small detail that I want to add: I used the computer this morning before I went to work, and it worked fine. No changes were made between then and now, I'm even sure it wasn't turned on between the two periods.

Thanks.

Last edited:
It seems like you're encountering an issue with Windows 7 RC getting stuck on the "Please Wait" screen after the logo splash. Since you mentioned that the system works fine in Safe Mode, it's likely that a third-party driver or software is causing the problem.

Here are some steps you can try to troubleshoot and resolve this issue:

1. Check for Recent Software or Driver Changes:
- Identify any software or drivers that were installed or updated recently. Try uninstalling any recently added software or drivers that might be causing the issue.

2. Perform a System Restore:
- Use System Restore to revert your system back to a point before the issue started occurring.
- Boot into Safe Mode, then search for "System Restore" in the Start menu to access this feature.

3. Check Event Viewer Logs:
- Access the Event Viewer to check for any error messages or warnings that might provide more details about the issue.
- In Safe Mode, type "Event Viewer" in the Start menu search and look under "Windows Logs" for relevant entries.

4. Run System File Checker (SFC):
- Run an SFC scan to check for and repair corrupted system files that could be causing the problem.
- In Safe Mode, open Command Prompt as an administrator and run the command: sfc /scannow

5. Update Graphics and Other Drivers:
- Ensure that all your drivers, especially the graphics driver, are up to date. Visit the manufacturer's website to download and install the latest drivers.

6. Disable Startup Programs:
- Disable non-essential startup programs that might be conflicting with the system startup.
- Type "msconfig" in the Start menu, go to the "Startup" tab, and uncheck unnecessary items.

7. Check Disk for Errors:
- Run a disk check to scan and fix any errors on your hard drive.
- In Safe Mode, open Command Prompt as an administrator and run the command: chkdsk /f

After trying these steps, reboot your system normally and see if the issue is resolved. If the problem persists, you may need to further investigate the specific drivers or software causing the conflict.

Let me know if you need more detailed instructions or further assistance with any of these steps.

Back