Windows 7 Windows 7 restarts without loading

darrylco

Hi,
I am running windows 7 ultimate 32 bit installed on a partition size of 270GB.The system worked for two months.Now when I start the pc, after the bios screen I get "Windows is loading files with a white completion bar.As soon as the bar gets completed or is full the system restarts.I tried start up repair from the install dvd using repair my computer.The message is failed to repair.Could not find os loader.Its a single boot system without third party boot loader.Tried restoring with an image backup.There is no difference.When memory diagnosis is selected from the repair options the pc restarts and the windows memmory diagnosis tool runs without any errors and on completion of the test windows boots normally.
But if I restart or shutdown the pc the next time the system reboots after windows is loading files.I have interchanged the memory modules to and from another system to confirm the memory.The memory modules does not have any problem.Please guide
System specification:
Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit operating system
Kingston 4GB DDR3 1333 MHZ FSB RAM Single module
Seagate 1 Terabyte SATA harddisk
LG DVD writer SATA drive
Intel DH61WW motherboard
Intel i3 3.10 GHZ processor

Have you tried to determine if Windows 7 is involved by booting to something like an Ubuntu Live Linux CD or DVD?

How old is the hard drive and have you added or removed any drives lately?

If it boots after you run a memory test, it might possibly be that some transient is causing the initial boot problem. Maybe go into the bios screen during start and wait a few seconds then continue to boot to test.

try repairing the boot records etc

place the disc back in the pc, when it fails to repair you can click advanced i think OR choose command promt .... type these in seperately

bootrec.exe /fixmbr
bootrec.exe /fixboot
bootrec.exe /rebuildbcd

try repairing the boot records etc

place the disc back in the pc, when it fails to repair you can click advanced i think OR choose command promt .... type these in seperately

bootrec.exe /fixmbr
bootrec.exe /fixboot
bootrec.exe /rebuildbcd

I have already tried the commands and also bootrec.exe /scanos.The error report given by the startup repair is
Root cause found
Boot manager failed to find OS loader
Repair action:File Repair
Result Failed:Error code -0c490

Repair action:Boot configuration data store repair
Result Failed:Error code 0x490

Have you tried to determine if Windows 7 is involved by booting to something like an Ubuntu Live Linux CD or DVD?
I have tried booting with LiveXP cd and it boots perfectly
How old is the hard drive and have you added or removed any drives lately?
The drive is three months old and I have neither added or removed any drive or any hardware.I have also installed the drive in another pc after formatting and it works perfect
If it boots after you run a memory test, it might possibly be that some transient is causing the initial boot problem. Maybe go into the bios screen during start and wait a few seconds then continue to boot to test.
The Bios anyway takes around two minutes to load to come to the screen where get the option press F2 to enter setup

Two minutes seems like a long time for the bios to come up. Perhaps it is checking the drive or some other system component.

I might try disconnecting the hard drive and timing the start to see if it is any faster.

Are there any special designations on the hard drive, like energy saving or some other type description?

When you are in the bios does the drive show up as you might expect? Have you tried different connections for the drive? I suppose the DVD drive shows up in the bios and looks normal also? Is it also a SATA?

I have also installed the drive in another pc after formatting and it works perfect

so you removed the drive after formatting it? so your planning to re-install the O/S? Using it with the motherboard with the slow bios?

if bios is working abnormally clear cmos. if no clear pin pull the power completely. let sit for a while, boot to bios restore to default settings, then try to boot to MBR (O/S). bios may need to be updated but it sounds like hardware. software can make hardware work abnormal. formatting and using windows repair most likely wax drive. some linux cds will do MBR no Justice.

if Seagate 1 Terabyte SATA harddisk, and Win 7 is on a 270 gig partition what is on the other partitions??

If linux live cd can read the windows partition get your files before well.. you know.

ttb

I might try disconnecting the hard drive and timing the start to see if it is any faster.
It takes about the same time even without the hdd and the sata dvd drive
Are there any special designations on the hard drive, like energy saving or some other type description?
Not anything that I know.The drive description is Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB,ST31000524AS,P/N:9YP154-304
When you are in the bios does the drive show up as you might expect? Have you tried different connections for the drive? I suppose the DVD drive shows up in the bios and looks normal also? Is it also a SATA?
Yes the drives show up as expected and I have tried connecting with the other SATa ports with and without the DVD Drive.

so you removed the drive after formatting it? so your planning to re-install the O/S? Using it with the motherboard with the slow bios?
To check the hdd I installed it on another machine.I had to format and do a clean Install as the motherboard had changed

if bios is working abnormally clear cmos. if no clear pin pull the power completely. let sit for a while, boot to bios restore to default settings, then try to boot to MBR (O/S). bios may need to be updated but it sounds like hardware. software can make hardware work abnormal. formatting and using windows repair most likely wax drive. some linux cds will do MBR no Justice.
I used the clear pin to clear the cmos and also remove the cmos battery for a day but the only setting lost was the date and time.Resetting / loading to defaults did not help
if Seagate 1 Terabyte SATA harddisk, and Win 7 is on a 270 gig partition what is on the other partitions??
The remaining part has two partitions one to store multimedia files and the other to save software and data

That drive is a Sata III, since that motherboard does not have any SATA III ports, maybe that is involved. The SATA IIIs are supposed to be backward compatible, so it should not be an issue, but perhaps something to look into.

I do not know the drive or its connection is a problem, just looking for something. I have seen boot times increased if the system was trying to read a drive, which makes me look at that. It still could be something else. I just can't think of something that would mess up your boot.

Edit: I also just remembered that SATA III drives have a slightly different cable from SATA II. Once again it might be OK, but are you using the special cable?

Last edited:
Back