Windows 7 RTM available on TechNet!

Not a Problem

Download the Professional (either flavor) and remove the "versions" file (ei.cfg). Build a new ISO and you will have access to the Ultimate Version.:p

Last edited:
Yeah, the downloads from "Top Downloads" are much faster with the Akamai downloader than with MS's regular FTM. FTM was giving me download speeds between 30-150k but with Akamai, I never dropped below 1.5MB/s. :D

Yeah, the downloads from "Top Downloads" are much faster with the Akamai downloader than with MS's regular FTM. FTM was giving me download speeds between 30-150k but with Akamai, I never dropped below 1.5MB/s. :D

Cruising along with the ADM. Avg 1.4MB/s

I am curious as to why x64 ultimate is greyed out on main download page:confused:

But is accessible from TOP downloads...

Cruising along with the ADM. Avg 1.4MB/s

I am curious as to why x64 ultimate is greyed out on main download page:confused:

But is accessible from TOP downloads...

I'm pretty sure that by sending you to top downloads to get it, they are trying to keep Technet from crashing due to the massive bandwidth that would be eaten up using the normal FTM. The ADM seems to spread out the bandwidth a bit better.

I'm pretty sure that by sending you to top downloads to get it, they are trying to keep Technet from crashing due to the massive bandwidth that would be eaten up using the normal FTM. The ADM seems to spread out the bandwidth a bit better.

I think so too. If you notice at the bottom right corner of the FTM while downloading Win 7 the word "On" is there (at least it was on mine). Ive never noticed this being there prior to downloading the RTM. if you hover over this it tells you that the speed is being limited on the server side.

Hi all

RTM download from technet has been FINE all day today (Saturday).

Ultimate allows multiple activations whilst professional needs a new key for each install.

I've just finished 2 Ultimate installs - Now I have to install all my apps (clean install is the way to go).

Cheers
jimbo

This rtm version from technet, does it last for like ... forever and do you get all the updates with it as well or is it just like the rc try it for a year then reinstall etc

Sorry for not being explicit enough when i said" how long will the rtm be available for" i meant to download from technet,

so..

How long will you be able to download win 7 from technet?

and i saw the list that you can download from it, can you download some of that at one time or is there like a limit on how much you can download?

Last edited:
Sorry for not being explicit enough when i said" how long will the rtm be available for" i meant to download from technet,

so..

How long will you be able to download win 7 from technet?

and i saw the list that you can download from it, can you download some of that at one time or is there like a limit on how much you can download?

I am assuming that you are asking about the RTM version (Final version) and not RC (release candidate). It will be available through TechNet Plus for a few years. To illustrate; DOS 6 and Windows 3 is still available through TechNet Plus, XP and Vista are available also. Interestingly Windows 2000 is no longer available. You do realize that TechNet Plus is a few hundred dollars per year subscription service, don't you? It is intended to provide a source for developers to test their developed software with Microsoft products. While it is near impossible to rigidly enforce this exact limitation, Microsoft does have the ability to locate and ban those who seriously abuse this subscription. However, you do get to keep whatever software you have downloaded during your membership even if you fail to renew membership at some point. There are some limits imposed on software downloads and activation keys, but they are very liberal.

In case you are incorrectly referring to RC as RTM, here's the unconfirmed scoop: my memory may be playing tricks on me, but I think that RC can be downloaded and activated until sometime in January 2010. Any activated installations as of the cut-off date will continue to function until June 2010.

Yes, possibly a momentary loss of mem- lol.
The RC is no longer available for (official) download.
I have been witness to the abuse of the Technet subscription. Someone recently posted his entire collection of Windows 7 keys (minus one!!) on another site. He was advised by several posters that the keys did not work, and then discovered that his own key had failed. He then reported, as a warning to all (very decent of him) that he had been banned from Technet permanently, and that his very expensive subscription had been cancelled, without recompense.

On a different note. John is correct. If you browse the TEchnet forum. Sorry, I cannot pinpoint it for the moment. There was a thread discussing the use of the subscription. It was confirmed by several MVP's and a Microsoft employee, that, whilst you were not supposed to use you downloads as your principal software, it was something that Microsoft had to overlook as the detaction of such would be too time consuming and nigh impossible. In any case, the user has paid a large amount into the kitty for the use of the software so nothing much is lost.

Thanks a lot for all your help and support on this "issue" I've chosen to take the expensive road and pay for a technet sub and then download all that i want (but never got because of the price from pc world) i probably going to go on for a year's subscription then well see if i want to re-new it thanks all for your help.

Back