Windows 7 windows 7 screen flicker help!

Have you tried running in safe mode and seeing if the flickering continues? If it does then your likely looking at a hardware issue, if it doesn't then it's a driver problem..

I'll run it in safe mode. and see what happens. It's strange because it only happens a few times a day and randomly. I'm usually not doing anything when it happens. I'll let you know the outcome tomorrow

Did you check my post #15.

That would tell immediately

OK, I tried your suggestion in post #15. It still flickers sometimes.

Also, I installed the same version (7 Ultimate 32bit. I have 64bit) onto my girlfriends laptop, and she tells me that her laptop is doing the same thing.

DPounds,

I don't think it was specified anywhere in the thread whether this was the RC or purchashed version.

Also, I did not, in any shape, manner or form call you a pirate.

same problem happened to me? i have a nvidia card too, switched it out with a ATI and the problem disappeared. switched it back to the nvidia and it started happening again. are you using a DVI connection? i switched my cable to VGA and problem solved.

i think its cause our video card is too crappy. i have a 8400GS running dual monitors. i'm sure with a better video card, you can use dvi, even hdmi with no problems

I've been having the same problem. I'm using a Toshiba Satellite Laptop with a Geforce 8700M GT. The problem didn't seem to occur when I first installed windows, but then I couldn't really make use of the card, so I installed the NVidia driver, and the screen flicker started...

I think it's a problem with the Nvidia driver specifically, but that's just my guess...

From other research I saw, it might be possible that the monitor driver itself needs to be updated, but I don't have a clue how to do that as I can't find anything other than a Generic PnP driver for my computer...

Oyarsa,

uninstall the Nvidia driver from Control Panel > Programs and features.

Now restart your computer and Windows should replace it with Microsof's WDDM driver.

Here's what happened to me.

I just installed my windows 7 Pro and switched out some hardware from my so-called high-end HTPC to my cheap $399.00 E-Machine

Windows update said One important update. Update for Nvidia 8500GT

I looked at the optional updates and it was a True Nvidia 8500GT update.

Stupid me, decided to do the important update first.

Screen was flickering like crazy.

Noe why would MS put an important update for the Nvidia card, when the new drivers haven't even been installed yet?

My flickering problem-and solution

I have an HP laptop Pavilion DV7 1232nr that worked fine with Vista - as far as plugging the HDMI output into my Sharp flatscreen TV.

But due to a hundred other problems running Vista I did a clean install of Win7 Ultimate. HP has a site for my particular PC that updates drivers for the touchpad and volume bar, etc. and I had to install those. I've been a happy camper.

But tonight was the first time I plugged my HDMI cable in to watch a DVD. Right off the bat I had all kinds of problems, most of which were resolved by rebooting with the TV connected via the HDMI cable. But the flickering persisted.

I googled and tried to change the screen resolution, which didn't help. Also via googling I tried to change my view to "extended desktop" and run my DVD player on the second screen (my TV). Still flickered. But, from there, I was able to adjust the refresh rate of the 2nd monitor. It was set to 59Hz. I changed it to 60Hz and no more flicker.

I hope this helps someone else because my Googling didn't give me the answer I needed.

....adjust the refresh rate of the 2nd monitor. It was set to 59Hz. I changed it to 60Hz and no more flicker.

Follow-up: After a couple hours, the flickering returned. I checked, and somehow the setting had reverted to 59Hz. So I re-set it to 60Hz and resumed with no problems.

Must be some sort of auto-detect setting that I am manually overriding. Next step is to figure out how to keep it from changing automatically.

Back
Top Bottom