Windows 7 Windows 7 search isn't functioning

nexusZ

hi,
i guess this issue if for microsoft gurus...
when i try to use windows search to search for files, it seems like it isn't searching at all, cause no reading from the hard disk drive is taken place.
here is a bit of info of my machine and the settings i've checked.
windows 7 ultimate x64.
the windows search feature on "turn windows features on or off" dialog is checked (installed).
at the services console (mmc), the windows service is running and its "startup type" is set to "automatic".
besides the offline files and the start menu no other folder is being indexed via the indexing options dialog at the control panel. (i know my searches will run slower).
i also set the relevant options and setting on the search tab on the "folder settings" dialog.
still, when loading windows search (win+f), typing into the search box and hitting enter do not display any files; whereas, using search at the command line (dir/s filename) provides correct search result.
any ideas?
thanks.

I like to start my searches by opening explorer then make sure the hard drive or Windows partition is highlighted. Then I know it is searching everything and not just one directory that happens to be selected. If you use the Win+f, check the location bar and make sure the entire partition is selected to start the search in.

Back
Top Bottom