Windows 7 Windows 7 seems slugish even though I've got more than enough...

Bryce

So, I decided to install and test out Windows 7 seeing how I've already bit the bullet and bought Vista Ultimate OEM. I know I'm shit out of luck with that money, but I wanted my new computer to be all legit and what not. Anyways, I am coming from a Linux Distro and the Windows 7 install went well, but I noticed that it's a bit slugish. Even Vista Ultimate was actually a LOT faster than what others say, but I know it's because of my computer. Anyways, anyone think they could help me figure out what might be causing the sluggishness in Windows 7?

Problem: Windows 7 is sluggish. Programs like Firefox, Opera, etc all open slowly and not just open like they do in Vista or Linux. There's a good 1-2 seconds that it takes to open even the small browsers and start menu. I've checked to make sure all my hardware drivers are up-to-date and they are, so I'm at a lost as to why it's so slugish. I know it's a BETA version, but come on, it can't be this slow for everyone. My computer details are below.

CPU: Intel C2D E8400 @3.0ghz stock Overclocked to 3.87ghz
RAM: 8gb G.Skill DDR2

Would it be possible that my hard drive is wearing down? I doubt that because I just have built this computer just a month ago, but I have reformated and formated about 40 times. Yea, I can't pick a OS between Linux and Vista/Win7 and I refuse to have both Linux and Windows dual/tri-booted on my computer at the same time. I guess the games got the best of me, heh. Anyways, anyone else have any ideas of what it could be that's causing me to experience the sluggishness?

EDIT: One more problem. Whenever I minimize Firefox or another browser Window Live Messneger pops up. Is there a way to keep WLM from doing this or no because it's seriously annoying. I thought there was a way to send WLM to the system tray, but apparently there's not.

Another problem. When I had linux all 5 of my speakers worked perfect. Now that I'm on Windows 7, just the left and right work. I've tried using my motherboard cd to install the drivers for them, but it's not supported by Windows 7 says the cd. Everything else is fine though.

Last edited:
Back