Windows 7 Windows 7 Shell problem

shub

Hello,

About 2 days ago I'm having shell problems, the right click menu of the mouse is the little problem.

First i noticed that i coudnt right click on a rar file and then select extract with winrar. The menu of winrar was there but wen i clicked nothing happend, it just didnt do anything. I reinstalled winrar 10 times and still no luck.

Now it also seems that other programs got the same problem with the shell, avast! also doesnt respond wen i click on a file and select scan.

So can somebody please help me! its really annoying and ive been looking on alot of forums but never saw something like this. I dont have any restore option or something, no backup, not planning on a format c and hopes it works the next time. And i didnt do anything funky lately

(forum n10 im posting this, others couldnt help me...à

~Shub

Please try creating New User Account from Control Panel to eliminate the possibility of your profile facing issues or your computer...

Try running the system file checker.. Right-click on command prompt and run as administrator. Then type:

sfc /scannow

press enter.
If it finds any problems it will attempt to repair.. If it doesn't find anything try running a virus/spyware scan..

thanks everyone,

Restoring to the last recovery point isnt a option because it one of 5 months old (then i rather format it all, but i also dont see that as an option).

I made a new user but now i couldn't right click on any file... i can still rightclick on a folder, rar it and then wen i click on the rar file it just doesnt do anything. Same for picture files.

I did the scanning and it said it found stuff that was wrong, fixed it but that didnt help my problem.

Any more solutions?

~Shub

Did you install any "tweaking" software?

Or place any redtictions on your computer

Try rebuilding the icon database:

Link Removed - Invalid URL

Done that nothing changed, i now do recall using a program to disable some right menu options and i guess it was only for windows vista.

When i click on a folder i got the new windows 7 layout, wen i click on a file i got the old windows xp/vista layout (i guess everyone knows what i mean). In windows 7 the icons are seperated with a line from the discription, in windows xp/vista this is not the case.

When i use that first program all the not working shortcuts turn red, and that other one i really dont have a clue how that can help me...

so anyway i can rebuild my shell? , btw thanks alot for the effords.

~Shub

Shub, when you installed the os, was it an upgrade or clean install?

It was a clean one, formatted my drive and then installed it, like i said it only changed about a week ago...

Im going to do the os cd thingy, a restor point is going to bring me way to far back so its easier to format it then. I dont really get the powershell thingy, its already installed on windows 7 and it doesnt seem like there is a update for it.

~Shub

EDIT, check the attachment, ive added a image,

• the right one is the right click on a file
  • the left one is the right click on a folder

Now that looks like its been broken or something

Last edited:
Check what UPDATES were installed recently which may have caused the issue.. the possibility is there.... its known that updates can cause weird bizzare things...

it an interesting issue guys..

Obviously there are going to be different items on a folder of file.

I don't see any problem at all,.

IMHO you should use cascading menus. It looks cluttered.