Windows 7 Windows 7 Shell problem

shub

Hello,

About 2 days ago I'm having shell problems, the right click menu of the mouse is the little problem.

First i noticed that i coudnt right click on a rar file and then select extract with winrar. The menu of winrar was there but wen i clicked nothing happend, it just didnt do anything. I reinstalled winrar 10 times and still no luck.

Now it also seems that other programs got the same problem with the shell, avast! also doesnt respond wen i click on a file and select scan.

So can somebody please help me! its really annoying and ive been looking on alot of forums but never saw something like this. I dont have any restore option or something, no backup, not planning on a format c and hopes it works the next time. And i didnt do anything funky lately

(forum n10 im posting this, others couldnt help me...à

~Shub

Please try creating New User Account from Control Panel to eliminate the possibility of your profile facing issues or your computer... :)

Hello,

About 2 days ago I'm having shell problems, the right click menu of the mouse is the little problem.

First i noticed that i coudnt right click on a rar file and then select extract with winrar. The menu of winrar was there but wen i clicked nothing happend, it just didnt do anything. I reinstalled winrar 10 times and still no luck.

Now it also seems that other programs got the same problem with the shell, avast! also doesnt respond wen i click on a file and select scan.

So can somebody please help me! its really annoying and ive been looking on alot of forums but never saw something like this. I dont have any restore option or something, no backup, not planning on a format c and hopes it works the next time. And i didnt do anything funky lately

(forum n10 im posting this, others couldnt help me...à

~Shub

Try running the system file checker.. Right-click on command prompt and run as administrator. Then type:

sfc /scannow

press enter.
If it finds any problems it will attempt to repair.. If it doesn't find anything try running a virus/spyware scan..

thanks everyone,

Restoring to the last recovery point isnt a option because it one of 5 months old (then i rather format it all, but i also dont see that as an option).

I made a new user but now i couldn't right click on any file... i can still rightclick on a folder, rar it and then wen i click on the rar file it just doesnt do anything. Same for picture files.

I did the scanning and it said it found stuff that was wrong, fixed it but that didnt help my problem.

Any more solutions?

~Shub

Try rebuilding the icon database:

Link Removed - Invalid URL

Done that nothing changed, i now do recall using a program to disable some right menu options and i guess it was only for windows vista.

When i click on a folder i got the new windows 7 layout, wen i click on a file i got the old windows xp/vista layout (i guess everyone knows what i mean). In windows 7 the icons are seperated with a line from the discription, in windows xp/vista this is not the case.

When i use that first program all the not working shortcuts turn red, and that other one i really dont have a clue how that can help me...

so anyway i can rebuild my shell? :), btw thanks alot for the effords.

~Shub

Shub, when you installed the os, was it an upgrade or clean install?

It was a clean one, formatted my drive and then installed it, like i said it only changed about a week ago...

Im going to do the os cd thingy, a restor point is going to bring me way to far back so its easier to format it then. I dont really get the powershell thingy, its already installed on windows 7 and it doesnt seem like there is a update for it.

~Shub

EDIT, check the attachment, ive added a image,

• the right one is the right click on a file
  • the left one is the right click on a folder

Now that looks like its been broken or something :p

Last edited:
Check what UPDATES were installed recently which may have caused the issue.. the possibility is there.... its known that updates can cause weird bizzare things...

it an interesting issue guys.. :)

Obviously there are going to be different items on a folder of file.

I don't see any problem at all,.

IMHO you should use cascading menus. It looks cluttered.

Back
Top Bottom