Windows 7 Windows 7 - Solutions for boot problems.

stevemilw

for all thoes people who are experiencing this problem, i have a few tips that worked for me.

Solving Windows freeze on startup....(this can happen when even booting from the startup disk, it has nothing to do with any drivers or software related issues) If you have sprung upon this problem after installing a driver, then it is a possibility, but for the majority of people who havent been able to enter windows, this is for you.

Fault finding process;

1. UNPLUG all USB connectors, including keyboard and mice USB. Use PS2 keyboard for BIOS settings
Reboot windows, Problem still stands??? Yes - move onto step 2. No - Diagnose which USB is causing your problems (connect one by one untill windows fails to boot. Main possibility is USB keyboard. Try disabling any USB Keyboard options in the BIOS.

2.Enter BIOS settings - Depending on your BIOS, Disable any USB Keyboard options.
Test Windows?, Move onto step 3

3. Disable ALL LAN Networking Controllers from the BIOS!. Try removing LAN boot from the Boot sequence options.
(Disabling network controllers worked for me.)
Failing to succeed move onto step 4

4. Try Disabling all Raid options in the BIOS

5. Switch off your computer, remove one by one, each pci card you may have, and retry booting. Do not re-insert the card removed until all cards are removed. 2 cards could be simultaneuosly causing the problem. By PCI cards, i mean the accessories, such as WIFI cards, tv capture cards etc from inside your computer. Removing the graphics card may be an option if you have onboard graphics to switch to.
-If windows boots on the removal of your graphics card, this could indicate a video setting issue with in you BIOS.

6. Disable any special motherboard functions, they may not be compatible with windows 7.
Make a backup of your BIOS settings before tinkering, save a BIOS profile if your motherboard supports it, or reset to defaults if you cant remeber what youve changed.

Failing upon that....
Try inserting the windows disc and booting from it, if you still get the freeze, it is a BIOS issue, so the fix is in that BIOS somewhere! Youve just got to find it!
Try removing all hard drives and booting, If you windows disc succeeds to boot, and enters a hard drive - driver select window, then your windows disc is most likely fine, meaning the disc is not the source of the problem.
Try plugging in a hard drive used for storage through IDE or sata. One that doesnt have a windows platform installed.
If the freeze stilll occurs when booting from the disc, you can be sure its not a driver related issue.

I hope this help!

Last edited:
I was just faced with this issue today. Windows 7 was running fine until I did a windows update. I also checked the optional updates which included drivers for my NVIDIA video card, sound card, network adapter, touch pad, and printer.

After the reboot its been frozen on the "stating windows" screen. In safe mode it gets stuck on "CLASSPNP.SYS".

Doing a startup repair from the installation disk does not work - it says it cannot repair the problem.

Doing a system restore to a point before the updates did not work either - it still froze on the "Starting Windows" screen.

The problem with this machine is it is a HP laptop and the bios are as simple as it gets. There are no options for any of the above mentioned bios tweaks.

There is also nothing external hooked up to the laptop. No USB, devices or anything foreign to the OEM parts.

Is there anything I can run from the command line to try to get into windows? Any advice would be appreciated.

If not, can I do a new install of windows and smoothly transfer over all registry settings, users, and programs to the new installation?

Last edited:
Hello, I just joined yesterday in hopes of resolving my issue here. I am experiencing the exact same scenario on my HP Pavillion Elite m9600t desktop. Windows 7 upgrade went fairly smooth except for the monitor not waking after standby mode kicked in. I finally changed it to never in the power savings to get around that problem. Then after the same windows update that included the nVidea driver, the computer gets to the "Starting Windows" screen and pretty logo and stops. System Restore does no good, I had several since installing W7 a week ago. I can access safe mode. Help for unclesam and I would be greatly appreciated. I do have an image saved externally and also rescue discs as a last resort. This is really annoying on a brand new computer.

Last edited:
Well, I got Windows running again this morning. It was a weird and experimental fix so I don't know that it will apply you but here is everything I did:

First I noticed that when booting in Safe Mode, windows would hang on loading CLASSPNP.SYS. So I booted into the windows CD and ran a command prompt. I navigated to my windows installation folder so I could rename the file that was causing the hang in hopes that the CD would repair it after.

I navigated the folder - "cd c:\windows\system32\drivers" and renamed it - "ren classpnp.sys classpnp.backup".

This actually didn't work and I still got stuck on the boot screen.

I have windows XP dual booted on this laptop and I haven't used it since my Windows 7 install. I decided to go in there and maybe replace some system files with ones from my Windows 7 installation on another computer. To my surprise, XP wouldn't boot either - the starting screen would come up but after a second I got a BSOD flash and the computer would restart. Weird.

So I did repair install on XP and I was able to boot it up. After the repair install on XP, I tried Windows 7 again. Here is what's weird again: this time Windows 7 did not hang on the starting screen, but did what XP did before the repair - it showed "Starting Windows" for a second, then a blue screen of death, and then restarted. Wtf??

After that I booted from the Windows 7 CD again and ran a Startup Repair. It took a long time and i left it overnight but now I am typing this from my Windows 7 which is booting just fine.

Sorry I don't have an exact answer for how I fixed it - this is just my story in detail. Somewhere along the line some changes happened that did the trick. Maybe someone who can make sense of this can narrow it down.

By the way - my Windows 7 is x64 and Windows XP is x86.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Found the problem on my end. Disabled the NVIDIA 9800 GT graphics card and lo and behold.....it boots normally...but only with onboard graphics. Now, you would think, I'll just go get the updated driver from NVIDIA, right? THe latest driver will not install correctly. Version of driver stays stuck on 8.16.11.9107 no mattter what I do.
Now, do I just wait it out and hope the vendor puts out another one soon? Or research another graphics card that will work with W7. This all started a few days ago with a Windows Update that included a driver update from NVIDIA. Supposed to trust windows updates arent we? Guess again. No wonder it creates a restore point before downloading and installing. ANY SUGGESTIONS HERE? SHOULD I WAIT OR GO SHOPPING? THANKS ALOT ANYONE....

I took a look at the website. It says the free version does not have full 64 bit support. Does that mean it shouldn't be used in Win 7/64?

I tried everything. System still hanging. Even I decided at last to format it but even booting from CD windows still hangs at the same place .....

Any suggestion ?

for all thoes people who are experiencing this problem, i have a few tips that worked for me.

Solving Windows freeze on startup....(this can happen when even booting from the startup disk, it has nothing to do with any drivers or software related issues) If you have sprung upon this problem after installing a driver, then it is a possibility, but for the majority of people who havent been able to enter windows, this is for you.

Fault finding process;

1. UNPLUG all USB connectors, including keyboard and mice USB. Use PS2 keyboard for BIOS settings
Reboot windows, Problem still stands??? Yes - move onto step 2. No - Diagnose which USB is causing your problems (connect one by one untill windows fails to boot. Main possibility is USB keyboard. Try disabling any USB Keyboard options in the BIOS.

2.Enter BIOS settings - Depending on your BIOS, Disable any USB Keyboard options.
Test Windows?, Move onto step 3

3. Disable ALL LAN Networking Controllers from the BIOS!. Try removing LAN boot from the Boot sequence options.
(Disabling network controllers worked for me.)
Failing to succeed move onto step 4

4. Try Disabling all Raid options in the BIOS

5. Switch off your computer, remove one by one, each pci card you may have, and retry booting. Do not re-insert the card removed until all cards are removed. 2 cards could be simultaneuosly causing the problem. By PCI cards, i mean the accessories, such as WIFI cards, tv capture cards etc from inside your computer. Removing the graphics card may be an option if you have onboard graphics to switch to.
-If windows boots on the removal of your graphics card, this could indicate a video setting issue with in you BIOS.

6. Disable any special motherboard functions, they may not be compatible with windows 7.
Make a backup of your BIOS settings before tinkering, save a BIOS profile if your motherboard supports it, or reset to defaults if you cant remeber what youve changed.

Failing upon that....
Try inserting the windows disc and booting from it, if you still get the freeze, it is a BIOS issue, so the fix is in that BIOS somewhere! Youve just got to find it!
Try removing all hard drives and booting, If you windows disc succeeds to boot, and enters a hard drive - driver select window, then your windows disc is most likely fine, meaning the disc is not the source of the problem.
Try plugging in a hard drive used for storage through IDE or sata. One that doesnt have a windows platform installed.
If the freeze stilll occurs when booting from the disc, you can be sure its not a driver related issue.

I hope this help!

Sorry to say this, THIS IS NOT A SOLUTION. I try all the steps listed, but still not able to solve my problem..

fleeze on "Starting Windows" screen

I just bought Windows7.. After I format my C:\ drive and start install with the CD, I can't login anymore due to the screen fleeze on "Starting Windows" screen.

This really make myself regret should continue use the RC version until next march.

Anyone, PLEASE HELP... :(

I just registered to say this thread helped me immensely. I was getting incredibly frustrated when my brother's PC refused to boot or repair Win7, and kept hanging at the "Starting Windows..." screen. You guys spared me so much unnecessary anguish.

Again, thank you, and Bump.

My computer is an Acer Aspire Revo R3600 original with Vista Home Premium 32 bit, after an upgrade W7 home premium. It worked without a flaw with Vista (usb keyboard and mouse were part of the purchase) After an update it starts with the welcome screen, makes the welcome sound, and goes to a black screen with a working mouse pointer.

I reboot in safe mode and it works with a VGA resolution.

Now. I do nothing, and restart.

A restart from safe mode now boots in a normal working environment. I'm actually posting this from the PC.

Does anyone have a clue how to solve this? I mean, I have to boot to a blank screen, reboot in safe mode, and only then I can start using this PC. Ok, it works, but...

Thanks,
Johan

Does anyone have a clue how to solve this? I mean, I have to boot to a blank screen, reboot in safe mode, and only then I can start using this PC. Ok, it works, but...

Thanks,
Johan
Ok, I found the answer. It doesn't make sense but I had an ethernet cable connection and a wifi connect on the internet. I don't know why, but it blew up the startup for my system. Simply removing the cable solved this issue. Thanks to anyone who read this.

Johan

My friend has been trying to install windows 7 on my old rig after he moved his PC into the other room, he had an error and was not allwoed to load into windows. This is a copy of windows 7 OEM too

now he keeps getting this error at the "Expanding Files" part of the installation. (Error 0x80070017 - Expanding files (0%). It seems the most common answer is ram swap or re-burn ISO, but this is OEM

What he has tried
- He has tried swapping out my rams stick into different slots and using single sticks
- Bought anew DVD drive, as he installed it from a USB external drive
- Put DDR2 ram in from his older rig
- Boot priority - 1st DVD 2nd HDD

What he has NOT done
- reset bios
- reset cmos
- memtest - has no way of burning it unles he gets on old PC with Windows 7
- PS/2 mouse/keyboard so no USBs are in - Cant cause he only has USB
- set timings on ram and voltages - currently next step.
- tried installing windows 7 on his old Pentium D 820 setup. He does not have Windows XP anymore

His PC
DFI LANParty DK X48 T2SRBplus
Intel E8500 @ 3.15Ghz
2x2gb Mushkin Redline Ascent DDR2-1066 [5-5-5-15] @ 2.0v
Western Digital Green 500gb/32mb cache
Creative X-Fi Platinum (PCI)
2x512mb VisionTek HD4870 (Crossfire)
Coolermaster 850wt PSU
Windows 7 Professional OEM

copy to a drive and burn the dvd slower
if it is definitely an OEM disk depends it may be looking for things oem and His PC is definitely not

If anything his PC is OEM, not Retail (DELL, HP). I use OEM on my build below with no problems

Gigabyte X58 UD3R
Intel i7 960
3x2gb Corsair XMS3
2x2gb Diamond HD5970
1TB/16mb Western Digital
Samung DVD/RW+
1250wt Enermax Galaxy Evo
Windows 7 Pro 64bit OEM

I got more RAM for him to try, but its in my homoe town where I will be in a month with him. But hes a huge SC2 player, so were trying to get this fixed ASAP.

All my friend did was move his PC into the other room and this problem started. Its wierd.

I was in here before in a thread reading and it was related, but none of the ideas worked, so I am trying to get a refresh from anyone......anyone?

I think we are confusing here. OEM(Original Equipment Manufacturer) means Dell, Alienware, HP and they no where near have them type boards. I have a dell myself. When you install it will have Oem logo's and stuff on things. A retail disk is for anything else.
Open ei,cfg on the dvd in sources folder and you see something like this
Code:
ei.cfg retail:

[EditionID]
Ultimate
[Channel]
RETAIL
[VL]

ei.cfg oem:

[EditionID]
Ultimate
[Channel]
OEM
[VL]
But that don't cure why it's crashing. Perhaps the disk has scratch cause you said tried another dvd reader?

Last edited:
Back