Windows 7 Windows 7 start menu does not stay for long

manohar

Hi,

The start menu does not stay open till i select anything from the menu. The menu will close before i select anything in the list. Even after searching i will not be able to select the one i want in the list as the menu closes so fast. Any help would be sincerely appreciated.

Thanks,
Manohar

A 3rd party application may be pushing you away from accessing the start menu and towards whatever is on the screen. Do you have many custom programs running in memory which may be causing a problem?

Thank you Mike for your reply.

There are quite few applications i will be running in the memory. Most of them are java applications. Is there any way i can get to know the problem causing application?

I would recommend using process of elimination until you can access the Start Menu. You can do this by closing an application running, possibly in the system tray, and then accessing the Start Menu to see what happens.

If you still have problems, run Windows Task Manager using Ctrl-Shift-Esc and try eliminating processes that may be causing this conflict. I would not be surprised if you launched the computer in safe mode that this problem would go away. If you do this (hit F8 repeatedly by booting and choose Safe Mode), and the problem still happens, it could be a problem with the registry or with the Windows system files themselves.

However, it would be best to take things step by step in this instance. Try to close whatever programs are running which may be causing the problem. If you still cannot eliminate the problem that way, you may want to track down what programs are launching at startup. To do this go to Start -> Search -> msconfig

Click on the Startup tab and you can evaluate what programs are starting by default whenever the system boots. You can disable many programs safely to try to remedy the problem, but it should also be done with care. Once you have isolated the program causing the issue, you should start to look more into the application to find a solution from the developer.

As i can remember this issue is there from the day one i bought the laptop. That time i had not installed any thing in the laptop. Laptop which i am using is Lenova W510. Can it be due to any software from lenova? If that can be the case i will have to disable the processes run by Lenova.

mandohar;

i have the same problem. when i touch the start menu icon in the lower left of the desktop, the menu pops up - just like it did with good old xp - but now the menu minimizes before i have chance to click on something. i've experimented, and the time delay before the menu minimizes is between 1 and 10 seconds - not consistant.

and here's the thing... i also have a lonovo W510. brand new, out of the box, only factory installed sw.

any ideas? it is super annoying.

- bogue12

Try disabling the veri-face program. My start menu now stays up. I ended up uninstalling it as I found it to be a bit gimmicky.

Hope this works for you too =]

HI the problem disappeared when I changed the theme under personalization, Strange. When I was using an unsaved theme, windows would flicker, right click menu would close, plus start menu would not stay open if I needed to type say msconfig etc..., plus windows pages (not web pages) would auto scroll back to the top.

Thought it might be my usb mouse, but who knows.... Change the theme to nature or something worked for me! :), if it works for you spread the word.

Try disabling the veri-face program. My start menu now stays up. I ended up uninstalling it as I found it to be a bit gimmicky.

Hope this works for you too =]
Is that the one you have to stare at your laptop to get in? If so my stepdaughter was having similar issues and noticed they disappeared when the novelty wore off and she disabled the program. Another Lenovo W510.

I would recommend using process of elimination until you can access the Start Menu. You can do this by closing an application running, possibly in the system tray, and then accessing the Start Menu to see what happens.

If you still have problems, run Windows Task Manager using Ctrl-Shift-Esc and try eliminating processes that may be causing this conflict. I would not be surprised if you launched the computer in safe mode that this problem would go away. If you do this (hit F8 repeatedly by booting and choose Safe Mode), and the problem still happens, it could be a problem with the registry or with the Windows system files themselves.

However, it would be best to take things step by step in this instance. Try to close whatever programs are running which may be causing the problem. If you still cannot eliminate the problem that way, you may want to track down what programs are launching at startup. To do this go to Start -> Search -> msconfig

Click on the Startup tab and you can evaluate what programs are starting by default whenever the system boots. You can disable many programs safely to try to remedy the problem, but it should also be done with care. Once you have isolated the program causing the issue, you should start to look more into the application to find a solution from the developer.

I've been having the same problem - lately but constantly. I went to Preferences and unchecked transparency. I haven't checked with all my programs yet, but the menus I have opened are open long enough for me to make a choice.

Back