Windows 8 Windows 7 to Windows 8.1 Upgrade

MeskyT

So, just 4 days ago I upgraded my PC’s OS to Windows 7 Home Premium from Windows Vista Home Premium. The Windows 7 isn’t yet activated (as my final destination isn’t it) and is operating within its 30 days grace period. So, I tried to upgrade to Windows 8.1 with a product key but it wouldn’t work. I want to keep my installed applications, settings and files intact. So, what seems to be the problem?

(1) Is it because the Windows 7 isn’t activated?

(2) Is it because direct upgrading to Windows 8.1 from Windows 7 not possible, and have to first upgrade to Windows 8.0 instead and then upgrade to Windows 8.1? I read so in a Microsoft forum website.

(3) Is it because both (1) and (2) are true?

Please someone help! Thanks!

There is no technical limitation upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 8.1. I'd say the license isn't for 8.1 or it is an OEM license which is not transferable.

If you are not able to upgrade to Windows 8.1 then I must say that it is possible.
Either you are not using the right key or you are using an OEM key.
OEM key locks itself to a motherboard which means that you can only install Windows on that Motherboard with that key.

If you have a Windows 7 key then use it to activate Windows 8.1. This ought to work.

Back
Top Bottom