Windows 7 Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit on HP Probook 4530s stops responding

fahadsh1

Hi,

My windows keeps getting stuck regardless of whatever software I am using. Every few minutes it says (NOT RESPONDING) at the top of whatever window that I have open. I checked task manager and there it says CPU Usage and Memory Usage is relatively low so that does not seem to be a problem.

I also checked Resource Monitor and there the only weird thing that I notice is the Disk Response time which is between 5000-8000ms for some stuff. I have attached a screenshot of that. I have run every HP Diagnostic tool and it doesn't find anything wrong with my laptop. I have formatted/re-installed windows on my system several times so I dont think the installation is a problem either. Could someone help with this please?

Attachments

• RM.jpg
    RM.jpg
    258 KB · Views: 3,024
The response times do look a little strange, mine show 3-8 ms.

I see you have 2 drives the same size. Have you tried disconnecting the second one? I have seen situations where a bad drive would mess up the system.

Do you hear any strange noises from the drive/s?

How old is this system?

Have you checked to see if you can re-seat the drives?

Chkdsk did not show any errors on the drive?

Since you have reinstalled, that would seem to eliminate a virus problem. Was it doing this before you reloaded AVG? Does it happen in safe mode?

The response times do look a little strange, mine show 3-8 ms.

I see you have 2 drives the same size. Have you tried disconnecting the second one? I have seen situations where a bad drive would mess up the system.

Do you hear any strange noises from the drive/s?

How old is this system?

Have you checked to see if you can re-seat the drives?

Chkdsk did not show any errors on the drive?

Since you have reinstalled, that would seem to eliminate a virus problem. Was it doing this before you reloaded AVG? Does it happen in safe mode?

Hi, Thanks for your response. To answer your questions:
1) The second drive is an external hard drive. I have been using that because I need to copy videos on to it to play them. If I try playing them from my internal harddrive the video is choppy (which again leads me to believe there is something wrong with the internal drive)
2) No Strange noises
3) System is hardly 6 months old - And I started experiencing this problem within the first 2 months I think
4) I am not sure how to re-seat drives? Would appreciate assistance on this
5) Chkdsk does not show any errors at all; neither does HP Hard drive diagnosis
6) It happens in Safe mode also. Before AVG I was using Avast and it was doing it then also.

Attaching a new Resource Monitor screenshot with the external HD detached.

Attachments

• RM2.jpg
    RM2.jpg
    281.9 KB · Views: 613
Last edited:
Resetting the drive physically is just shutting down your system and checking the drive to make sure it is seated in its connector. I will pull it out just a bit and then push it back on the connectors. If it is the drive, it might also be a controller problem, or the driver. Since this is an OEM install, I will assume it is using the correct software. The fact is happens in safe mode would seem to indicate it is being caused by some basic system component/driver...

There was a problem in Windows 8 with Skype causing high drive activity, and a update is available. I do not use Skype, so can't say for sure.

If the system is in warranty, you might want to get HP to handle it. But what I would do, if you can, is to replace the Hard drive for testing. You can run a downloaded version of Windows for a while without having to activate it. A clean install would narrow down if the drive was bad, or some software is causing it.

Link Removed - Not Found

I notice that the Queue length on your system is showing 5 for a full graph displacement, mine shows .01

Resetting the drive physically is just shutting down your system and checking the drive to make sure it is seated in its connector. I will pull it out just a bit and then push it back on the connectors. If it is the drive, it might also be a controller problem, or the driver. Since this is an OEM install, I will assume it is using the correct software. The fact is happens in safe mode would seem to indicate it is being caused by some basic system component/driver...

There was a problem in Windows 8 with Skype causing high drive activity, and a update is available. I do not use Skype, so can't say for sure.

If the system is in warranty, you might want to get HP to handle it. But what I would do, if you can, is to replace the Hard drive for testing. You can run a downloaded version of Windows for a while without having to activate it. A clean install would narrow down if the drive was bad, or some software is causing it.

Link Removed - Not Found

I notice that the Queue length on your system is showing 5 for a full graph displacement, mine shows .01

Back
Top Bottom