Windows 7 Windows 7 Update not working!

stockhausen

Having left Windows Update running for a day and a night - over 24 hours - it still displays "Checking for updates..." with the progress bar happily drifting from left to right.

I was advised (elsewhere to:
  1. Disconnect from internet
  2. Restart PC
  3. Manually run 1st install (KB3102810)
  4. Restart PC
  5. Run 2nd install (System update readiness tool)
  6. Restart PC
  7. Connect to internet
  8. Check for Windows Updates
  9. Done!
Sadly this didn't work, I followed the instructions to the letter and saw the following result:

3a) Windows Update Standalone Installer - KB3102810-x64 - 3,251 KB.
Runs continuously saying "Searching for updates on this computer".
A MsgBox pops up after a while saying "The update is not applicable to your computer".
KB3102810 continues to run.
When you click [OK] on the MsgBox, KB3102810 terminates.​

5a) System Update Readiness Tool - KB947821-v34-x64 - 551,509 KB. Also called "Windows Update Standalone Installer"?
Runs saying "Searching for updates on this computer".
A MsgBox pops up asking "Do you want to install the following Windows Software update? Hotfix for Windows (KB947821)".
When you click [Yes] it runs displaying "Copying packages to the Windows cache" and then changes to a new MsgBox saying "The updates are being installed".
It attempts to install Hotix for Windows (KB 948721) (update 1 of 1).
This never actually completes, it moves quite rapidly to within about 1cm of the end of the progress bar but never gets beyond this point.​

Looking at the Event Log, Error 7034 ("The Windows Modules Installer service terminated unexpectedly") clocks up every 30 seconds.

Also . . . every time I boot the computer it appears to attempt to install updates and then fails and reports that it is reverting changes. Needless to say this means that booting the thing takes ages!

I know that this appears to be a recurrent issue with Windows 7 but perhaps the level of detail I can provide will help?

Can anyone help PLEASE?

Thanks, I'll give that a go.

I can't believe that Microsoft have a web-page that begins with:
"Use our Windows Update Automated Troubleshooter
This troubleshooter will detect and solve Windows update issues automatically.
"​
It beggars belief.

I have also read suggestions (via Google) that I could try the System File Checker tool "sfc / scannow" but I am concerned that this will just exacerbate the problem.

Is this something new? Have these problems just started to pop up since Microsoft started trying to push everyone into upgrading to Windows 10?

No, the Windows Update mechanism hasn't really changed all that much since Windows XP. Some common problems can be with the Windows Update service, or BITS the service used to download content, the update cache can be corrupt or the database it uses.

I have also read suggestions (via Google) that I could try the System File Checker tool "sfc / scannow" but I am concerned that this will just exacerbate the problem.
Hi ! you can run sfc /scannow! If you have problems it will try to fix them. The big dogs say you may have to run it three times before it fixes every thing.

Hi Stockhausen,
It would also be helpful if you posted hardware specs for your computer as well. Make/Model please? Also, is it a Desktop PC or a Laptop?
If it's a Desktop PC, is it an OEM brand (Dell, Acer/Gateway, HP, Toshiba), or a self-built PC? If you are not sure how to do this, please go to www.piriform.com and download the free SPECCY diagnostic and upload the text result file back here to this thread for further analysis.

Bear in mind if you are upgrading a computer that came with Windows7 on it pre-installed, that computer is now 6 years old this year; and hard drives begin to fail regularly after 3 years of age. If you haven't replaced the original hard drive in that computer since it was new, there's a very high chance it's either begun to fail or has already failed and that could be what's preventing you from completing Win10 upgrade!:eek: And no repair tool or software on the Planet can FIX BROKEN HARDWARE!!!

If neemo's tool doesn't work, I urge you to consider testing your hardware or pay a licensed Tech to do that for you; otherwise you could be spinning your wheels for months or years trying to find the right software to fix the problem--there is none! :noway:

Post back if you'd like some basic instructions on how to test your hardware and your computer specs.

Lastly, if you have a self-built rig (we call this a Custom-Build PC), please post Make/Model and Wattage of your Power Supply too (PSU).

Best of luck, :encouragement:
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>> :usa:

I might suggest you bear with it a bit longer as updates for Windows 7 and 8 are taking longer and longer and make sure you set your power options in Control Panel to "never for monitor or keyboard because if power management shows up it can prevent the updates from being ;isted as well. We don't know if this is by design, perhaps a payback from Microsoft to users who held back from updating to Windows 10 or simply the server being slower because of all the downloads of Windows 10 but many are experiencing longer than 24 hour wait time for both "check for updates" and the actual installation as well.

Hi I don't think it's pay backs from MS for those that held back from upgrading. I would agree however that it's probably because of the demand from PC users. Yes there are several reports of long waiting periods to install the up dates. I would think that 24 hours would be long enough to wait.
Good luck and happy computering!

Last edited:
Why exactly would it be helpful if I posted my hardware specs?

I am aware of and use Speccy. I also use Belarc Advisor but I really don't think that this is a hardware problem.
If nothing else then help us rule out hardware by telling us yours.

Why exactly would it be helpful if I posted my hardware specs?

I am aware of and use Speccy. I also use Belarc Advisor but I really don't think that this is a hardware problem.

70% of BSOD's and most Windows issues, many Windows Update issue are actually hardware related, or the drivers that are installed. Sometimes other software as well. So yes it's important.

Hi @stockhausen
<SNIP>

This will show you how to reset Windows Update view update history, and how to reset and re-register Windows Update Components if you are having a problem updating with Windows Update.
You might also give this link a look!
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/971058

Windows Update - Reset - Windows 7 Help Forums
Try this one first!;)
Thanks for those suggestions. I suspect that Resetting and re-registering the Windows Update Components is my best next step.

In the event that none of these suggestions work I will happily post details of my hardware although I suspect that as so often happens this will just result in a whole host of red herrings - hopefully it will not be necessary.

Hi @stockhausen Good luck! After trying the reset.You might wait 24 hours for MS to complete all the updates. That should be long enough IMHO;)
Thanks for the update:rofl:A little pun! Sorry!:demon:

I have just had the following suggestion which is pretty much what I was hoping I would get:

What I would normally do is wipe the contents of the C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder, which removes the WU cache.

Stop the Windows Update service first, either manually through Adminatrative Tools > Services (or run services.msc) or type net stop wuauserv in an elevated command prompt.

I like to feel that I know what is going on rather than running something that claims automatically to sort out "issues". Before I leap in, does this make sense?

@surv1v0r: There are like 3 things that affect this type of troubleshooting, and there are 2 modalities in common use today for both hardware troubleshooting and software troubleshooting. On the books and manuals I've written on this topic, it comes down to whether you have a software or a hardware background, as well as your own personal experience with troubleshooting problems in general on the computer. After many years of doing this, I can honestly say there is no one right way of troubleshooting. But there is usually more than 1 way to find a problem that solves the problem! The question is, does your troubleshooting method get you to the problem's solution faster than the next guy? It's baffling to me to think that the majority of home computer users think that everything can be solved by a software solution; ignoring the fact that nothing will work correctly if there is an actual hardware fault inside the PC or laptop case. The comment by WilliamB in Post #12 leads me to believe William has a hardware background as I do; so therefore he's inclined to test the computer hardware somewhere along the line; if not immediately, then at some point. There are automated hardware troubleshooting tools, as well as automated software tools and scripts or batch-files. Each of those tools has their merits and disavantages as well. It does make sense that you don't want to jump in with an automatic software repair tool. Most of us here agree with that concept, and that's why we do not like things like automated "driver fixer programs" OR "Registry Tuneup programs" and the like. ;)
<<<BBJ>>>

These are tools licensed and trained computer technicians and engineers use who repair computers use. You can google them to get more information. Here are some links to help you:
MemTest86 - Offical Site of the x86 Memory Testing Tool
Speccy - System Information - Free Download

From the Old West days we use a term in the biz called "the Shotgun Approach" which is the random replacing of parts without really doing methodology-oriented troubleshooting. There is certainly nothing wrong with this, as many people who don't have formal vocational or academic training in computer technology successfully use it. But, it has a way of blowing up on you if you don't really know what you are doing. This name came from the idea that Sheriff's in frontier American west would use "shoot 'em first, ask questions later" method to rid the town of violent elements.:tribal:

Testing your hardware with known software tools can eliminate many persistent as well as intermittent problems (such as random hangs, Blue Screens, freezes, etc.) with your computer. As WilliamB put it, it's often a hardware problem at the root cause of many computer problems, and if intermittent, this is the most difficult type of problem to resolve, and requires expert level troubleshooting skills. Having trained hundreds of computer engineers for over a decade, I am aware of all the aspects of random "swap-out" or "shotgun approach" troubleshooting, and those approaches can sometimes produce very bad results. Bad as in fire & brimstone bad. :waah:.

There are loads of computer help forums out there, but often you will get a dozen people helping you with trying to correct a software problem without ever looking at the hardware, until a tech knowledgeable in both and the proper troubleshooting methodology comes along and asks a simple question like "did you test your hard drive?", or "did you test your RAM memory sticks?". If one of those components is failing or has failed, you can have a thousand people trying to fix the Registry or whatever software tools they throw at the problem, and the bottom line is as I always say: "NO SOFTWARE ON THE PLANET CAN FIX BROKEN HARDWARE!!".

Keep asking questions. :encouragement:
<<<BBJ>>> :onthego:

Some news on updates from Microsoft today (LINK):

Microsoft today announced the availability of so-called "convenience rollups" for Windows 7 SP1.
I wonder whether there is any connection between this "Rollup" and the recent problems?
Where is SP2? Didn't XP end up on SP3?

EDITED:

I happened to speak to two people today who were very upset that their computers had been "automatically" updated from Windows 7 to Windows 10 in the last day or two.

They were adamant that they had not agreed to this but they both thought that their computers were setup to install updates automatically overnight.

Last edited:
Back