Windows 7 Windows 7 upgrade process

Sakujou

I've never upgraded to another OS before, usually they come out by the time I need a new computer. But this time so fast...and it runs so much better, I have a couple questions.

I'm about to install the RC. But when Windows7 does come out I'm going to get the upgrade from Vista to Home Premium Win7...or whatever they call it.

Will I have to install Vista again, then 7? Or can I just install 7 and it ask me for my old vista key?
Problem is I dont have a vista cd, my laptop manufactuer never sent me one, so this is a one way trip LOL
I could prob go through warranty and ask for vista cd...but then it wont matter because either way when Windows 7 Comes I probably going to upgrade to a solid state in which it would be a fresh install anyways!! So...can I do fresh install and just tell it my old vista key or must vista be installed first?

I'm assuming they do the same upgrade style from XP to vista so im hoping some people have experience..or maybe someone from Microsoft is member here hahaha ^^

Okay then, o-o they should make it so you can upgrade, I mean I technically do have Vista, just no cd! haha...

In the past when installing a new Windows (upgrade)OS on a formated HDD I've been asked for proof of a previous installation of Windows in the form of a DVD. I've used an old Win'95 I have floating around, and this does the trick. Perhaps this is an option for you?

Sakujou,

That's right a "clean" install is the best way to go.

I'd wit a while until the manufactures will give a copy of Windows 7, sometime in late June or early August I believe

Windows 98 used to ask for a key to install a newer OS, but that no longer applies as Drew has mentioned.

Okay then, o-o they should make it so you can upgrade, I mean I technically do have Vista, just no cd! haha...

Do you perhaps have a Dell system? if so i can provide you with a link to request a set of backup disk

Back
Top Bottom