Windows 7 Windows 7 uses WAYY too much RAM! 3gb/4gb!! (Used 1gb at idle before)

Domokun1986

Wierd problem here guys

Quick specs
Phenom II x4 3.2ghz
4gb DDR2 800

PC use to run flawless. Very fast. During idle it would use only 1gb/4gb of ram which is normal

Now it uses 3gb at idle! At startup it will be at 1gb, but after I run a memory intense application (Starcraft 2 which uses 2gb approx) afterwards it will idle at 3gb! The system will then run slow and sluggish, applications take double the time to load. I've tried various free ram applications but they dont work! If I restart the PC it will go back to 1gb but as soon as I run a memory intense application it will go back to a slow sluggish 3gb!

It also seems to do it whenever the system goes into standby/hibernate and boots up... desktop.jpg

Here is a detailed desktop screenshot

Ok... I'll let the others take a shot at it then.

It's just that some AV software --Norton in particular-- are prone to pull dumb stunts like this.

What other security software do you use firewall, antispyware, etc. Did you have another antivirus on before NOD?
Joe

Good posts guys. Yeah A/V usually causes things like this, so make sure ESET is updated to latest.

Other than that, standby/sleep/hibernate issues are from drivers. I can take a look at what you have if you post the msinfo32.

Type msinfo32 in the start menu then press enter. File | save on the opened screen. Zip the saved file then attach the zip to a post.

Good posts guys. Yeah A/V usually causes things like this, so make sure ESET is updated to latest.

Other than that, standby/sleep/hibernate issues are from drivers. I can take a look at what you have if you post the msinfo32.

Type msinfo32 in the start menu then press enter. File | save on the opened screen. Zip the saved file then attach the zip to a post.

Here you go Sir, just as directed. Thank you for your help.

By the way I uninstalled ESET and will run it for a few days to see how it goes

Last edited:
You're welcome.

The GeForce GTS 250 NVIDIA video driver is a little old and probably not causing any issues, but it would be good to update anyhow:

Link Removed - Invalid URL

------------

Your Realtek lan driver is very old, from before Windows 7 RTM. Update it from here:

RTL8111

------------

You really want to uninstall the FreeRAM program. Believe me when I tell you, these programs are pure snake oil. Windows 7 was designed to handle memory in an absolute great way, the best of all OS they've ever made. These programs mess that all up and actually make the pc slower, because now it has to go and get data from hdd when it should have been in memory (and it's not because it's been cleared.)

Steer far away from these types of apps. Terrible to performance.

Back