Windows 7 Windows 7 video playback freezing

mijas12

The video played fine under Vista, but since I upgraded to Windows 7 Home Premium, it now freezes very often. It doesn't matter what software I use: Media Player, Media Center or Cyberlink PowerDVD. It doesn't matter whether I play DVD or live video stream from internet.
The first couple of times after reboot it works fine, and after that it starts to freeze, so that sound is usually played okay but video freezes. After system rebooting it works fine again for one or two times and then the problems occurs again.
It worked find under Vista, and the problem appeared immediately after upgrading to Windows 7.
I have all latest Windows updates and the driver for video card NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GS is up-to-date.

Thanks

Solved by downloading latest driver for NVIDIA GeForce video card from INVIDIA website (not through Windows Device Manager driver update).
Also completely reinstalled HP MediaSmart DVD software. It didn't work and prevented Cyberlink PowerDVD from working properly.

Thanks for the info. I am sure this will help other folks in the future.

Well, it is not completely solved. Maybe improved a little bit.
The problem (video playback freeze) occurs after computer gets asleep and then wakes up. Before entering into the sleep mode everything works just fine. After waking up DVD playback and other video starts to freeze (video freezes but sound is okay). It is solved by restarting the system.

There were also other multiple problems with video freezing:
- Blu-Ray didn't play in Cyberlink PowerDVD and HP MediaSmartDVD. Solved by deleting and re-installing of HP MediaSmartDVD.
- Any DVD playback froze in the first 10 seconds in CyberLink PowerDVD. Solved by the latest patch (end of November 2009) from CyberLink.

But the problem with video freezing after waking up from sleep mode is still there. It happens in WIndows Media Player, Windows Media Center and Cyberlink PowerDVD. I have tried to delete and re-install PowerDVD and Windows Media Player already. The drivers for graphic card NVIDIA GeForce 9600 CS are up-to-date.

This worked fine under Vista. The problems started immediately after upgrading to Windows 7 Home Premium x64.

Solved by downloading latest driver for NVIDIA GeForce video card from INVIDIA website (not through Windows Device Manager driver update).
Also completely reinstalled HP MediaSmart DVD software. It didn't work and prevented Cyberlink PowerDVD from working properly.
That is what I was going to suggest (I had the same problem with my sisters laptop).
But if it is still acting up that may not be all of the problem. Can you give us more info on the PC in question?

The PC is HP Pavilion Elite m9515f
AMD Phenom X4 9850 Quad-Core Processor
RAM: 8GB
Graphic Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GS
Originally WIndows Vista Home Premium 64 bit (SP1) was installed.
Recently upgraded to Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.

Thanks

Thanks
If you did a upgrade and not a clean install that is where I would start first.
I know you probably didn't want to hear that and I hear it nearly every day "I don't want to loose all my stuff" Just back all your stuff up on an external drive before you start.
You will be surprised how much better it runs on a clean install. :rolleyes:

Does your DVD player play Blue-ray also.

When you start Cyberlink's Power DVD, it should ask if you want to download an upgrade.

That's how mine worked.

I have the same problem, choppy/freezy video after sleep/hibernate. I'm running x64, upgraded from Vista. The upgrade went seamlessly but I've found that 32-bit apps suffer the worst problems after sleeping. For example, iTunes (32 bit, thank you apple) locks up completely if it is running when the computer sleeps.

My problem has NOT been solved. I have done a clean re-install of Windows 7. HP helpdesk told me to contact Microsoft Windows support. MS helpdesk said that they do not support OEM Windows versions, so that I need to go back to HP support.
So, I disabled sleep mode completely. This is the only solution I have found so far.

Hi,

I'm wondering if this issue was ever truly solved - I'm having the same problem. Windows Aero effect also stops working. I'm open to suggestions!

Thanks

My problem has NOT been solved. I have done a clean re-install of Windows 7. HP helpdesk told me to contact Microsoft Windows support. MS helpdesk said that they do not support OEM Windows versions, so that I need to go back to HP support.
So, I disabled sleep mode completely. This is the only solution I have found so far.

While this is not a perfect solution, it has (I think) fixed things for me - Aero still works and so does Media Centre. When HP calls me back I'm going to tell them it has to do with sleep mode in the hopes that they might actually dig a little deeper.

Back