Windows 7 Windows 7 vs Windows Xp on network

SereneTW

OKay.....here is the problem...i have 3 computers 2 with windows 7 and 1 with xp. Now i need to share files. There is no problem with windows 7. I can access both the computers having xp and windows 7 and can transfer and share files. But one with xp....i cant see the other 2 computers with windows 7...HALP..:(

You have to setup the Windows 7 computers like the XP one with the same work group name. Go into advanced system settings and it's on the tab with computer name.
Joe

In addition to making sure all computers are in the same Workgroup, avoid Homegroups as they are not compatible with downlevel client machines like XP.
And
enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP in the properties of IPv4, under the WINS tab, within the properties of your network interface card.
type
services.msc
into the search box and hit enter
confirm that the following services are started, consider setting the startup type to automatic
Computer Browser
Function Discovery Provider Host
Function Discovery Resource Publication
Network Connections
Network List Service
Network Location Awareness
Network Store Interface Service
Server
SSDP Discovery
TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper
Workstation
And if you are receiving an error message when attempting to access shares on the Win7 machines from the XP machine like "Network path not found" or something similar, you are going to have to examine the settings for any security suites that are installed on all your machines and make sure they are configured properly to support NetBIOS communication between network nodes.

Back