Windows 7 Windows 7 won't allow me to install programs and software

saf999

Hi i have recently had my computer rebooted and the hardrive been wiped clean and now have windows 7 where as previously I had XP. However I have had this problem for 2 weeks now and it is bugging me I have tried searching for solutions but i could not find any relating to windows 7 so hopefully somebody will help me.

The problem is that when I download programs such as quicktimeplayer and try to install it the install does not start instead I get a message with a red circle and white cross that says - '' The windows installer service could not be accessed. This can occur if the windows installer service is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance.'' This also happens when I try to install itunes Does anybody now how to solve this problem?? :confused:

A similar thing also happened when I downloaded the driver and software for my logitech webcam and as a result I could not install them instead i got a message with a yellow triangle and an exclamation mark which said We were not able to install the software. This could be due to any of the following reasons:
- Not enough disk space. Make sure yo have enough disk space on your computer to install this software (By the way I am pretty sure I have plenty of disk space available as i have jus got my computer rebooted.)
- There is already another install in progress. Be sure that you are not trying to install other software at the same time.
- You do not have permission to install software on this computer. Log in as an administrator or check with your computer's administrator. (By the way I am the administrator of the computer)
- Your installation media is damaged .There may be some missing files . You can download the latest software from the logitech website ( I did download this software from the logitech website)
- You can also restart your computerand attempt the software installation again. (No luck, same thing happens again with this same message popping up). My webcam is a logitech E3500.
:frown:
Secondly I have a HP Photosmart C4580 printer it is a wireless printer however when I tried installing it via a network my wireless network was not detected so I had to connect it via USB . I heard that i needed new drivers and software so i downloaded the software and drivers but i could not install them due to these same messages popping up. Could somebody pleeeeeease help me??? All help will be much appreciated!!! :(

Hi i have recently had my computer rebooted and the hardrive been wiped clean and now have windows 7 where as previously I had XP. However I have had this problem for 2 weeks now and it is bugging me I have tried searching for solutions but i could not find any relating to windows 7 so hopefully somebody will help me.

The problem is that when I download programs such as quicktimeplayer and try to install it the install does not start instead I get a message with a red circle and white cross that says - '' The windows installer service could not be accessed. This can occur if the windows installer service is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance.'' This also happens when I try to install itunes Does anybody now how to solve this problem?? :confused:

A similar thing also happened when I downloaded the driver and software for my logitech webcam and as a result I could not install them instead i got a message with a yellow triangle and an exclamation mark which said We were not able to install the software. This could be due to any of the following reasons:
- Not enough disk space. Make sure yo have enough disk space on your computer to install this software (By the way I am pretty sure I have plenty of disk space available as i have jus got my computer rebooted.)
- There is already another install in progress. Be sure that you are not trying to install other software at the same time.
- You do not have permission to install software on this computer. Log in as an administrator or check with your computer's administrator. (By the way I am the administrator of the computer)
- Your installation media is damaged .There may be some missing files . You can download the latest software from the logitech website ( I did download this software from the logitech website)
- You can also restart your computerand attempt the software installation again. (No luck, same thing happens again with this same message popping up). My webcam is a logitech E3500.
:frown:
Secondly I have a HP Photosmart C4580 printer it is a wireless printer however when I tried installing it via a network my wireless network was not detected so I had to connect it via USB . I heard that i needed new drivers and software so i downloaded the software and drivers but i could not install them due to these same messages popping up. Could somebody pleeeeeease help me??? All help will be much appreciated!!! :(

Sounds like you have a corrupt file.... from an elevated command prompt, type "sfc /scannow" w/o quotes. You may have to insert your system disk.

Sorry i am a noob on computers where and how do i find the elevated command prompt?? and what system disk may i need??:confused:

from an elevated command prompt, type "sfc /scannow" w/o quotes. You may have to insert your system disk.

Sorry i am a noob on computers where and how do i find the elevated command prompt?? and what system disk may i need??:confused:

from an elevated command prompt, type "sfc /scannow" w/o quotes. You may have to insert your system disk.

StartMenu/AllPrograms/Accessories, RtClk on CommandPrompt, Run as Administrator
System Disk is your Windows 7 Install Disk

You can also go to the Start Menu, type "cmd" without the quotes in the "Search" field and then right-click on the cmd application.

I recently tried to run this sfc /scannow and it didnt ask for any system disk.

OK once i am on that black command prompt screen what do i do now? btw does it matter how you open the command prompt screen because when you tyoe cmd into the search box and open it the title of this screen at the top is cmd.exe or sumthin while when you go to accessories and right click command prompt and run as adminstrator the title is Administrator: Command prompt. im just thinking that these 2 things may be different or maybe they're the same??

OK once i am on that black command prompt screen what do i do now? btw does it matter how you open the command prompt screen because when you tyoe cmd into the search box and open it the title of this screen at the top is cmd.exe or sumthin while when you go to accessories and right click command prompt and run as adminstrator the title is Administrator: Command prompt. im just thinking that these 2 things may be different or maybe they're the same??

When you run as Administrator, then it will give full access. If you run the other way it has some limitations.

I recently tried to run this sfc /scannow and it didnt ask for any system disk.

It will ask for your disk if it needs to replace files AND if you don't have the pristine Win 7 system files cached in the correct folder on your hard drive. Otherwise it will appear that you don't need the disk. That's why I said that it MAY ask for the disk.

ok busy dog once i am on the command prompt black screen via run as administrator it doesn't ask for a system
disk. All it says is C/: Users /Safran. What do i do next?

Type SFC /SCANNOW and then hit return.

It may or may not ask you for your disk after it starts.

ok the scan is complete it says '' Verification 100% complete. Windows Resource protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir/Logs/CBS/CBS.Log. For example C:/windows/Logs/CBS/CBS.log''

What does this mean and what am i supposed to do?

Look over the log in Notepad (although it's probably huge in size).

Look at the bottom for errors.

thanks.... Drew but wat date shud i put the restore point on cos ever since I had windows 7 installed I havent been able to install software and programmes. By the way after the command prompt scan, when I open the notepad it is blank so what do I do next??

wat about command prompt scan?? once completed when i open note itz blank......
and i think the windows 7 on my comp is burned from an iso file. and i don't have the disk I will have to get it off a m8 in that case
sooo do I have to do a repair using the windows 7 disk?

It will ask for your disk if it needs to replace files AND if you don't have the pristine Win 7 system files cached in the correct folder on your hard drive. Otherwise it will appear that you don't need the disk. That's why I said that it MAY ask for the disk.
thnx for the info m8..point noted!!

ok the scan is complete it says '' Verification 100% complete. Windows Resource protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir/Logs/CBS/CBS.Log. For example C:/windows/Logs/CBS/CBS.log''

What does this mean and what am i supposed to do?
Did you restart the machine after you got the above message? Normally Windows will not be able to fix some of the files since it will be in use. I got the same message and after doing a restart, all worked fine.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom