Windows 7 Windows 7 "XP Mode" Available for Download

piit

I'm surprised nobody mentioned it here yet - Virtual PC packages to support XP Mode in Windows 7 have leaked along with Virtual Windows XP VHD packages - see Link Removed - Not Found

I've already installed it and it seems to be working fine apart from the Shared Networking (NAT) - the virtual network adapter is not connected to the network.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned it here yet - Virtual PC packages to support XP Mode in Windows 7 have leaked along with Virtual Windows XP VHD packages - see Virtual Windows XP Mode (XPM or VXP) for Windows 7 x86 and x64 VHD Package Installer Download » My Digital Life

I've already installed it and it seems to be working fine apart from the Shared Networking (NAT) - the virtual network adapter is not connected to the network.

Good post thanks :) Going to add to your rep straight after writing this :D

Thank Piit, I've been waiting for this to be released :) Have some points to add to your reputation.

Does anybody who has the official release have the hash numbers??

Here are the hash numbers for the one which I downloaded (the download contains both the XP-64 and XP-32 versions:-

Be a little careful.

AVG scans on all the files revealed nothing, but a scan with Spybot - Search and Destroy revealed the EBlaster virus in the Evaluation Guide PDF file during the heuristics scan. This could be a false positive though, especially as nothing was shown for the normal malware scan.

Anybody managed to get this running in a 64-bit environment??

When I get to around 99.5% of the installation it fails and asks me to try again. Tried 4 times to date - including removing it via the control panel and also uninstalling the KB update.

Anybody managed to get this running in a 64-bit environment??

When I get to around 99.5% of the installation it fails and asks me to try again. Tried 4 times to date - including removing it via the control panel and also uninstalling the KB update.

That's strange... I installed it successfully on Win 7 RC 7100 x64. I was thinking an error in your download, but the hashes of your files match mine...
As I said before, the only thing that I can't get working is the Shared Networking (NAT) - in this mode, the virtual network adapter shows "Cable unplugged". When I switch the VM networking to wireless adapter, all is well. Not very handy though.

Thanks for coming back and confirming it works Piit - there must be something installed on my system that it doesn't like.

I will try once more and if it fails again I'll download the official RC and the official Virtual PC beta on Wednesday and do a format new install and then make it the first thing I put on the system.

Link Removed due to 404 Error
Thanks for coming back and confirming it works Piit - there must be something installed on my system that it doesn't like.

I will try once more and if it fails again I'll download the official RC and the official Virtual PC beta on Wednesday and do a format new install and then make it the first thing I put on the system.

I run into trouble while trying to install and make it work :( 64X windows 7100 .
Had to reinstall OS . Going to take the easy path and wait see how other get on with it . It is not as easy to install as I expected .
Could be a problem MS if people experiance great problems getting it to work .Early days so maybe as you say the official release may solve it ?

Sorry too much drink I have it working fine now :)

Last edited:
I run into trouble while trying to install and make it work :( 64X windows 7100 .

At least I don't feel so alone now :). Thanks for confirming that Whoosh.

Could be a problem MS if people experiance great problems getting it to work .Early days so maybe as you say the official release may solve it ?

Well, to date, there are three of us who have tried to install it and it has a 67% failure rate - not good omens.

I have to completely dismantle my new system on Monday as I want to fit a new Noctua cpu cooler to the system. Unfortunately this requires complete removal of the motherboard from the system as a special backplate needs to be fitted to the underside of the motherboard. Then I should be able to overclock a lot more aggresively.

Then a complete re-install of the OS/Virtual PC on Wednesday - and hopefully I will be able to scrap my 4th ancient computer (P4 cpu) which I have had to keep as my accounts package will not run (even in compatibility mode) on either of my 3 other systems (a Win 7 x64 machine, a Vista x64 Ultimate machine and a Vista x32 Home Prem machine - oh I forgot my laptop which also runs Vista x32 Home Prem).

Good luck with your new system :)

Hey good luck with your installation trust it all goes well for you :)

I tried installing it on Build 7000 64 bit Ultimate and I get a message not compatible with system. I do have virtualization enabled in BIOS for VM Workstation. I tried installing on build 70068 64 bit on virtual machine. It installed but when i try and use it there is a message that there is no hardware enabled.
Joe

Finally got it running - this time it installed without a single problem.

The difference between all those failed attempts and the one this morning is that I downloaded a new Registry Cleaner and System Optimisation program and ran it last night (Advanced System Care) - this must have cleaned up some gunk on the system which was causing the virtual machine to fail to install.

For anybody interested, Advanced System Care is free and actually says it is Windows 7 ready :eek:

The other thing I should add is that my problematic programs (my accounts packages) installed fine on the Virtual XP machine and are running just fine
:D :D :D.

Last edited:
Hi all

Ran it without problems. Continuing to run it as well -- worked straight "Out of the Box".

Maybe try the version from "The little green devil".

Ran first go -- follow the instructions EXACTLY and ensure you have comapatble hardware. Ensure also you are running build 7100. You don't actually have to run the 64 bit build but you DO need the VT feature turned on for your CPU (which itself must be a 64 bit one).

Cheers
jimbo

............. but you DO need the VT feature turned on for your CPU (which itself must be a 64 bit one).

Cheers
jimbo

Yeah - checked that as soon as I read it in the blurb - not easy to find though, I had to comb through the motherboad/BIOS manual - but finally found it tucked away inside the Advanced CPU Features in the overclocking section. However it was turned ON by default :rolleyes:.

Yeah - checked that as soon as I read it in the blurb - not easy to find though, I had to comb through the motherboad/BIOS manual - but finally found it tucked away inside the Advanced CPU Features in the overclocking section. However it was turned ON by default :rolleyes:.

Yes it was turned on by default in my Bios 2 :)

Yes it was turned on by default in my Bios 2 :)
Every motherboard I've seen has this turned on by default. Unless you've turned it off (some people do when they're overclocking) you probably don't need to check if it's on unless you're having problems.

Every motherboard I've seen has this turned on by default. Unless you've turned it off (some people do when they're overclocking) you probably don't need to check if it's on unless you're having problems.

Must admit never checked that one b4 - ty :)

Back