Windows 7 Windows 7 "XP Mode" Available for Download

Every motherboard I've seen has this turned on by default. Unless you've turned it off (some people do when they're overclocking) you probably don't need to check if it's on unless you're having problems.

Whilst this might be true of the motherboard/bios combination there is an interesting blog on this topic by Ed Bott who's research would tend to suggest that it will not run on all Intel processors, even fairly recent ones:-

How many Intel CPUs will fail the XP Mode test in Windows 7? | Ed Bott’s Microsoft Report | ZDNet.com and
How many Intel CPUs will fail the XP Mode test in Windows 7? | Ed Bott’s Microsoft Report | ZDNet.com (for a list of processors said not to work)

So Joe_S, is your processor on that list as one which doesn't support Virtualisation??

Last edited:
Whilst this might be true of the motherboard/bios combination there is an interesting bog on this topic by Ed Bott who's research would tend to suggest that it will not run on all Intel processors, even fairly recent ones:-

How many Intel CPUs will fail the XP Mode test in Windows 7? | Ed Bott’s Microsoft Report | ZDNet.com and
How many Intel CPUs will fail the XP Mode test in Windows 7? | Ed Bott’s Microsoft Report | ZDNet.com (for a list of processors said not to work)

So Joe_S, is your processor on that list as one which doesn't support Virtualisation??

Thank god I only use AMD :)

Whilst this might be true of the motherboard/bios combination there is an interesting blog on this topic by Ed Bott who's research would tend to suggest that it will not run on all Intel processors, even fairly recent ones:-

Wow, didn't know that. I would have thought all C2Ds would support VT. You'd think that only the low end Celeron/Pentium Dual Core would not have VT enabled. I wonder why they disabled it on certain C2Ds? The only thing I can think of is that the cpus that end up binned lowest are also the ones that have issues with VT (probably on the portion of the wafer that causes them to be binned lower). I can't think of any other reason to disable it, as it isn't going to save them any money by turning off a feature.

hi guys
i successfully installed windows xp mode and also some applications on it. but i am unable to bring up network inside it. I mean i cant ping anyone on my network from within xp mode. Virtual PC setting is by default is in NAT mode. i am getting some weird IP in xp mode virtual pc but cannot seem to ping anyone on network. has anyone successfully accesses network from xp mode virtual PC ???

Wow, didn't know that. I would have thought all C2Ds would support VT. You'd think that only the low end Celeron/Pentium Dual Core would not have VT enabled. I wonder why they disabled it on certain C2Ds? The only thing I can think of is that the cpus that end up binned lowest are also the ones that have issues with VT (probably on the portion of the wafer that causes them to be binned lower). I can't think of any other reason to disable it, as it isn't going to save them any money by turning off a feature.

Problem here is that there is no distinguisable pattern of compatible and non-compatible Intel processors. You just have to check your individual processor for compatibility. Some almost bottom end processors are compatible and they "skip and hop" all the way to the top of the line. (This one is and the next one is not)

XP Mode RC

Hi All,

I loaded XP mode RC last week when it came out and am now able to run the only program (out of 151) that wouldn't run on Win7 32bit. That is an antique game Shanghai Second Dynasty which I use as a time waster while holding on the phone. The only problen is when XP updates I have to reinstall Shanghai. Having XP mode running all the time in the background doesn't slow my machine down at all. The only other comment is that XP doesn't recognise one of the DVD drives and only see one of the 3 HDDs.

DanaW

My system is : Dell XPS420 , intel Q6600, 4GB RAM, 320, 120, 500GB HDDs GForce 8600GTS, PLDS DVD-rom, TSST DVD burner.

Back