Windows 8 Windows 8.1 and black screen (groan)

kenfran

I was one of the those who tried the W8.1 preview and it worked well on top of W8.

When the actual release came I came on board quickly but the installation did not work, not sure why as it was w8.1 release on top of 8.1 preview.

Firstly with 8.1 preview I could not log into store to get the full version so I ended up going back to my original W8.. From here I then went into the store and downloaded w8.1. From then it was all downhill

Once loaded it was soooo slow.

Once I logged on as a user I would get a blank screen with cursor. I could however pres alt+cont+del to get task manager and from there open the directory but not desktop. I did find that if I did nothing the desktop would come in 5-10 minutes after I had logged on. Odd very odd.

The black screen appears to be not unusual from the many blogs I have read with different issues causing the black screen in different computers.

I have now done a total reload with W8 and will wait until there is a fix until I log back on

It seems you have problems which might account for the black screen. Possibly some driver is not loading, or an updated one is causing the problem. I have Nvidia graphics cards and there was a WDDM type update that caused my system to Bluescreen.

How did you return to Windows 8, by doing a clean install or recovering an earlier image?

If you try it again, I would turn off any devices you have in the bios you do not need, like possibly a Bluetooth device. But you seem to be correct that there appear to be quite a few folks having black screen problems.

I did a clean install. I figured with the original w8 then preview followed by w8.1 a clean was best. I have tried some of the tricks suggested but no luck. I think I will give MS time to get a fix before i try again