Windows 8 Windows 8.1 and black screen (groan)

kenfran

I was one of the those who tried the W8.1 preview and it worked well on top of W8.

When the actual release came I came on board quickly but the installation did not work, not sure why as it was w8.1 release on top of 8.1 preview.

Firstly with 8.1 preview I could not log into store to get the full version so I ended up going back to my original W8.. From here I then went into the store and downloaded w8.1. From then it was all downhill

Once loaded it was soooo slow.

Once I logged on as a user I would get a blank screen with cursor. I could however pres alt+cont+del to get task manager and from there open the directory but not desktop. I did find that if I did nothing the desktop would come in 5-10 minutes after I had logged on. Odd very odd.

The black screen appears to be not unusual from the many blogs I have read with different issues causing the black screen in different computers.

I have now done a total reload with W8 and will wait until there is a fix until I log back on

It seems you have problems which might account for the black screen. Possibly some driver is not loading, or an updated one is causing the problem. I have Nvidia graphics cards and there was a WDDM type update that caused my system to Bluescreen.

How did you return to Windows 8, by doing a clean install or recovering an earlier image?

If you try it again, I would turn off any devices you have in the bios you do not need, like possibly a Bluetooth device. But you seem to be correct that there appear to be quite a few folks having black screen problems.

It seems you have problems which might account for the black screen. Possibly some driver is not loading, or an updated one is causing the problem. I have Nvidia graphics cards and there was a WDDM type update that caused my system to Bluescreen.

How did you return to Windows 8, by doing a clean install or recovering an earlier image?

If you try it again, I would turn off any devices you have in the bios you do not need, like possibly a Bluetooth device. But you seem to be correct that there appear to be quite a few folks having black screen problems.

I did a clean install. I figured with the original w8 then preview followed by w8.1 a clean was best. I have tried some of the tricks suggested but no luck. I think I will give MS time to get a fix before i try again

Back