Windows 10 (windows 8.1) Boot error with secondary hdd

CactusLord

Hi guys, i hope i can get some help with an issue i had this past days.:ohno:
Recently i had a problem with my computer, i had to format my sdd (which was my only hard drive at that time), before formating i bought a new hdd and backup all the old information on that hard drive. After reinstalling windows 8.1 on the main ssd i copied all the data i needed from the backup and then formated the secondary hdd. The problem starts now, it happened to me several times, (but not always) when i play games on the pc without any apparent reason the screen freeezes, so i have to turn off the computer, and when i start it again i get a message in a dark screen which says either operating system missing try disconnecting your devices or bootmgr missing. When i disconnect the second hdd the system starts normaly. The issue with the screen freezing doesn't seem to happen when my second hdd is disconnected. Why does it happen? is it because it tries to load windows from the hdd? How can i get it to work normally with the hdd enabled? I hope you can help me with that :(
Thanks for the help (and sorry if there are grammar or spelling mistakes, im not a native english speaker i'm spanish)

You might attach a snipping tool picture of your Disk Management window so we can see the exact situation.

You don't mention exactly what or how you copied your info to the HDD originally. But if you have two drives with boot files it might be confusing the boot system.

If that isn't it, just make sure you are showing the SSD as the primary boot device in the bios.

You might attach a snipping tool picture of your Disk Management window so we can see the exact situation.

You don't mention exactly what or how you copied your info to the HDD originally. But if you have two drives with boot files it might be confusing the boot system.

If that isn't it, just make sure you are showing the SSD as the primary boot device in the bios.

I copied the files to the hdd via the file management tool on ubuntu,
Captura.PNG

Here are the two hard drives, the two partitions in C: are for ubuntu. And f has no system partitions, neither boot files.
cvczxv.PNG

fdas.PNG

The priorities for the boot seem to be ok also, idk what the problem might be...:eek: btw ty for the help

Hey just had the same issue again, this time i entered the bios while it happened. What i find is that somehow it doesn recognise the ssd disk as an option to boot system
dfasd.PNG

Probably not related but your CPU temp is on the hot side, that could be causing the freezing in game. What PSU do you have as a underpowered one would explain issues after adding a new drive

If you do not know, the Disk Management window is available from the Winkey+X menu. Seeing the graphical representations of the two drives might show something.

But since disconnecting the HDD stops the problems, the system is confused and sees something it doesn't expect. So it follows there is still something on the HDD that should not be there. If you have the chance of cleaning the drive and reformatting, it might help, but first verify it will boot without the HDD. We still do not know how you copied your data to the HDD.

Hi,

It would be helpful for us to know the exact Make/Model of the computer you are having this problem with.

Given we have to wait for that, a general guess as to your problem was that if you performed a Win8.1 upgrade on your computer from an earlier version of Windows, say XP/VISTA/WIN7/WIN8, and your 2nd hdd was plugged in, this would account for your problem. We see this frequently on the forums with self-upgraders.

It's NEVER a good idea to upgrade a PC to a newer version of Windows with any additional hdd's plugged in the Motherboard or via USB or Firewire, or eSATA ports, or any other external devices such as printers, webcams, etc. Most Home Users are not aware of this very important consideration; as they are not professionally trained.

This is the reason that I tell most of my Customers not to perform their own Windows OS upgrades; rather pay me or another professional Computer Tech to do for them. Unfortunately, about 90% of my Clients who attempt this, fail, especially on their first attempt. This is bad news for them, but good news for me since they have to pay me to fix it!

If you didn't perform an upgrade, post back our requested information, and we'll give you some other ideas on how to go about fixing it.

Best,
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Back