Windows 8 Windows 8.1 boot stuck running chkdsk

eldiener

Honorable Member
I scheduled a 'chkdsk /f /r c:' for my C drive under Windows 8.1. When I next booted the check disk started running, reached 13%, then never got beyond that point. I can leave it running for hours and the screen shows 13% completion and the check disk never completes. This has the effect of hanging the Windows 8.1 boot also. How can I solve this problem ?

Reboot, and when the chkdsk is counting down to begin press any key to cancel it. Boot into Windows and from an elevated command prompt run sfc /scannow. Hopefully that will resolve some of the issues and then try running a chkdsk again.

There is no counting down where I can press a key to tell Windows to cancel the chkdsk. The chkdsk just begins running automatically when it gets to a certain part of the boot process.

Do not use the command 'chkdsk /f /r c:' . :noway: Use either chkdsk /f c: or chkdsk /r c: Don't combine both those switches together.:noway: On modern disk drives, chkdsk /r c: implies the "/f" switch anyway, so it's an uneccessary duplication. Check out this link to explain the switches:
Command Line Check Disk Options, Switches, Parameters

It would also be helpful to know the Make/Model of the hard drive you are attempting to run this command on. And whether it's a HDD, SSHD, or SSD drive type. Once you know that information you can run further manufacturer drive diagnostics by visiting this link:
Hard Drive Diagnostic Procedure

When asking for help with this particular command which relates to hard drive repair, it's really helpful for us to know which type of hard drive you are attempting to fix.

Thanks and good luck!:encouragement:
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>> :nerdie:

Back