Windows 8 Windows 8.1 boot screen corrupted.

Fenrirsulfur

Hello everyone, this is my first post on these forums. Recently I decided to dual boot Windows 8.1 with Linux Mint 17.1. While everything works fine, the boot screen sometimes appears corrupted. It's basically just random colored distorted lines. This doesn't really affect boot-up except from maybe a drop in speed but it's really frustrating especially since this is really hard to search for and it only happens occasionally. Any help is much appreciated!

It's basically just random colored distorted lines.
The mint boot screen has this issue... see image?
mint start screen.png

Yes the boot screen looks exactly like this, except that the lines cover a bigger part of the screen and it's the Windows boot screen not the Mint one.

It is the Mint boot loader not Windows i.e. you are useing the Mint boot manager to control your dual boot... this happened because you installed Windows first then Mint and that makes Windows use the sub-standard boot screen that came with Mint.

As you say, its a minor issue so put up with it or remove the Mint install and repair the Windows boot with a auto-repair from a Windows 8 or 8.1 disc | usb.

I see. If there is no real issue underneath then I can probably put up with it but isn't there any way to fix this ?

I suspect the guys that make Mint will get around to updating their boot manager eventually but I wouldn’t hold my breath in the meantime and no there is no fix beyond removing the Mint manager from the dual boot.

Back
Top Bottom