Windows 10 Windows 8.1 Firewall won't turn back on

Matthew Swan

Hello all!

Since yesterday morning, I've had an error with the Firewall not turning back on. The day before, it was on, and working fine! I haven't installed anything since, except we had a new router installed because our old one had the wrong charger to it. The new one worked fine the day we got it installed, but then the next morning I got this error. Could that be it?

I don't have any anti-virus installed, so I don't believe it's a firewall alternative issue.

I've tried various methods on fixing this, including trying to turn it on manually, only to be answered with error messages.

I've tried: going into services to turn it on that way, but it says "Starting" and then I'm answered with the error message below

command prompt sfc/scannow, it stops at 20% and says "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation."

updating to windows 10, it won't even do that!
restarting my computer,
uninstalling anything I've downloaded in the recent week,
and tech support.

My laptop has been way slower than usual since yesterday morning, too. It took me 3 tries to write this thread without google chrome crashing, which it never has before. This has taken a lot of patience, and I really hope I can get some help with this. Thank you!

snippit0.PNG
snippit1.PNG
snippit2.PNG
snippit1.5.PNG

Hello!

Thank you for the reply. I checked out the guide, and on #3, I was halted. In "Services" Windows firewall is set to "stopped" and won't turn back on. Every time I try it says "Starting" and then just goes back to stopped, with the error message I included before with a snip.

I downloaded malwarebytes and I'm running a test right now, I'll post results when it finishes. Thank you!

Hello!

Thank you for the reply. I checked out the guide, and on #3, I was halted. In "Services" Windows firewall is set to "stopped" and won't turn back on. Every time I try it says "Starting" and then just goes back to stopped, with the error message I included before with a snip.

I downloaded malwarebytes and I'm running a test right now, I'll post results when it finishes. Thank you!
If the error still persists try the 'Fixit' from Microsoft:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb...agnose-and-fix-problems-with-windows-firewall

Tried to run Malwarebytes, and my laptop froze completely at one point. Had to restart countless times to fix the issue.

Gonna retry scanning with malware

Hi

If that happened I can almost grantee you have malware.

There are two things you can do that may help, first try and run Malwarebytes in safe mode.
Second find the Malwarebytes.exe file and change the name to anything else, i.e. doghouse.exe, and then run it.

Believe it or not this can fool malware into ignoring the the program.

I'm fairly confidant that running it in safe mode will to it.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/12376/windows-10-start-your-pc-in-safe-mode

Mike

Please post back exact hardware specs on your laptop, including Make/Model (for example: Sony Vaio VGN-FW139E). It would also be helpful if you could download and run the free SPECCY diagnostic from www.piriform.com and upload the output text file back here to this thread for us to analyze it for you.

The other guys have given you very good suggestions, however all those are SOFTWARE solutions. You should attempt those first, but if none of those are working, there's a very good chance that you have hardware failure in you laptop. NO SOFTWARE ON THE PLANET CAN FIX BROKEN HARDWARE. :noway: I'm suggesting that you test your HARDWARE, specifically the RAM memory sticks and your hard drive. Since your laptop came with either Windows 8 or 8.1 on it, that computer is at least 3 years old (8.1 came out in 2013), and could be as old as 5 years old (Win8 came out in 2011). Hard drives begin failing in laptops after 2 years!! If you haven't replaced the hard drive in your laptop since you purchased it, there's an 85% chance that it's failing or has failed completely. This often accounts for failures such as you describe, specifically your inability to upgrade from Win8.1 to Win10.

Post back your specs as requested above, and we can provide you with links to do the hardware testing on your laptop. You may need additional help to do this if you've never done it before. It's not difficult, but can be time consuming. Novice computer users can take a week or more to do the testing. More experienced users can do it in 2-3 days if they are uninterrupted by such things as work & life! :)

Lastly, I always caution users to BACKUP ANY AND ALL PERSONAL DATA THAT YOU HAVE ON THAT LAPTOP PRIOR TO ATTEMPTING ANY KIND OF SOFTWARE OR HARDWARE TESTING OR REPAIR!!! This is really crucial if you are going to be attempting any sort of virus/malware repair. Many of those viruses, when removed, often contain a nefarious payload which can erase from some to all of your personal files, windows system files, and you can then suffer from irretrievable data loss!! :waah:

We'll await your response back unless you solve it before then, and if you do we would appreciate you posting back your solution to share with our other forum users.

Thank ya' kindly,
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Back
Top Bottom