Windows 8 Windows 8.1 hanging with screensavers

eldiener

Honorable Member
If I choose a screensaver under Windows 8.1, the screensaver will occur after the designated time but if I afterward come back to my computer after doing something else where I live I will see a blank screen with a blinking cursor in the upper left-hand corner, and Windows 8.1 is completely unresponsive to any keys I press. The only way to get back to Windows 8.1 is using the reset button on my computer itself, which restarts the boot-up sequence of the computer and I can boot back in to Windows 8.1.

If I choose the choose 'None' as the screen saver, along with 'On resume display login screen', there is no problem. If I afterward come back to my computer after doing something else where I live I will see the login screen, and after clicking on it I will be asked for my password, after which I am back in Windows 8.1 where I left off.

Does anybody have any idea why choosing any screensaver in Windows 8.1 causes the hang described in my first paragraph above ? Of course I can choose 'None' as the screensaver and avoid the problem but I would really like to be able to use a screensaver in Windows 8.1. Under Windows 7 this problem never occurs.

Sounds like your graphics card can't handle the effect of going back to your desktop, so, can you pick a screensaver and select On resume display login screen.

Sounds like your graphics card can't handle the effect of going back to your desktop, so, can you pick a screensaver and select On resume display login screen.

It turned out that I found a post on the Internet about AMD display drivers not working on Windows 8.1, along with an AMD Clean Uninstall Utility for removing any AMD drivers. Once I applied the utility, and rebooted Windows 8.1, my problem has so far vanished. I am hoping I have permanently figured out the problem.

Back